Please help!!

ChargerWI18

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Luke
I’m sure this has been discussed a lot....

Ok guys new to my UDS and smoking and am in the process of smoking some BB Ribs today.....well I was. Fired up the pit like I have read, did the minion method and lit about 6 charcoal, waited till they ashed over and added to fire basket. Put basket in drum and waited till temp got to 275 and let sit there for about half hour before adding meat. Added meat, temp spiked and then settled back in around 280ish. Ran between 265-295 for about 1.5 hours. Had the intakes open about 1/4” each. Then all of a sudden temps just took off to 390-400 and couldn’t get them back down. Didn’t open the lid till 2.5 hours in to check to make sure they weren’t burning and they were getting dark. So I took them off. Took the fire basket out and dumped some water on it to shut it down and put back in the drum to see what would happen. Temps are at 450-490 and they won’t move down at all, all exhausts open even the 2 caps in the lid with my exhausts and intakes have been closed since temps climbed!! WHAT HAPPENED AND WHAT DO I DO FOR MY NEXT COOK!!

Attachments

• 8BEB3661-E90B-42E0-B75B-0910CD97BDAC.jpg
    8BEB3661-E90B-42E0-B75B-0910CD97BDAC.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 135
Where are you reading your pit temp? A side thermometer, a thermometer on the grate, a cable thermometer?

I think you have too much draft. When I'm cooking at 275° I have one 3/4" intake hole open, and six or eight 1/2" exhaust holes open in the lid.

Like everyone said...too much oxygen creates a bigger fire and higher temps. If you closed off all the intakes and exhausts and still can't get temps down then you have a big leak somewhere. Is your lid sitting tight?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a digital temp probe at grate level. When my temps started to climb I just had the exhaust stacks open and the 2 holes plugged. Intakes were open a 1/4”-ish. I opened the 2 holes when I had removed the ribs. I ended up removing the ribs and finishing them in the oven. I saved the ribs and they were delicious even being on for almost 2 hours.

Lid is tight, didn’t see any smoke escaping anywhere! Are my exhaust stacks to big? They are 2 1/4”.

I have a digital temp probe at grate level. When my temps started to climb I just had the exhaust stacks open and the 2 holes plugged. Intakes were open a 1/4”-ish. I opened the 2 holes when I had removed the ribs. I ended up removing the ribs and finishing them in the oven. I saved the ribs and they were delicious even being on for almost 2 hours.

Okay, good. Side thermometers can be off 50° in a drum. You want to measure temp in the center of the drum as close to grate level as you can. Well, 2" away from food to avoid false readings.

Next cook, start with less intake and exhaust and start closing things down when you are maybe 30° before your target temp. Then let the fire settle in, and the flavor smoke settle down before adding any food.

Okay, good. Side thermometers can be off 50° in a drum. You want to measure temp in the center of the drum as close to grate level as you can. Well, 2" away from food to avoid false readings.

Next cook, start with less intake and exhaust and start closing things down when you are maybe 30° before your target temp. Then let the fire settle in, and the flavor smoke settle down before adding any food.

Ok sounds good! Thanks for the tips everyone! Got a little concerning there for a bit but I realize things can go smooth because it did for almost 2 hours before all hell broke loose!!

One other thing I realized when looking back and after everything you guys have said is.....the wind picked up considerably and I saw no smoke out of the exhaust facing the wind and all smoke out of the exhaust not into the wind. So I’m wondering if I was getting a draft pushing down the exhaust stack and in turn like you guys said to much airflow then and well.....it all burned to quickly!!

If both intakes were 1/4” open, that’s 1/2 inch total with 4 1/2 in exhaust stacks. That will make the temps skyrocket. Those exhausts are pulling a ton of air through that small drum. My 48” Assassin, ball valve is maybe 1/8-1/4” open and exhaust is maybe 1/4-1/2” open. That will get me 240-300 degrees every time.

If both intakes were 1/4” open, that’s 1/2 inch total with 4 1/2 in exhaust stacks. That will make the temps skyrocket. Those exhausts are pulling a ton of air through that small drum. My 48” Assassin, ball valve is maybe 1/8-1/4” open and exhaust is maybe 1/4-1/2” open. That will get me 240-300 degrees every time.

Makes sense! I’m trying to figure out know of a way to shut down the exhaust tips because they are car exhaust tips and are open all the time. Was thinking of just putting tin foil in them if need be but I can’t regulate anything. Any ideas?

Makes sense! I’m trying to figure out know of a way to shut down the exhaust tips because they are car exhaust tips and are open all the time. Was thinking of just putting tin foil in them if need be but I can’t regulate anything. Any ideas?

I would get rid of one of the exhaust stacks all together. For a rig that small, 1 is plenty. If you can, cut it level and get a small piece of aluminum from Lowe’s or Home Depot and use that on top to adjust it down. As stated above, start closing the intakes when 30-50 degrees from target temp. If going 275 and below, probably only need 1 intake open. 1/8-1/4”. Above 275, you could open second vent. Exhaust will be choked down a lot more than you think. Doesn’t take much air to get those going!!

I have a question: what size are your intakes? 3/4", 1", 1-1/2" 2"? I can't tell from the pictures.

It seems to be over kill on the exhaust.
I'd probably lose the exhaust tips- they look sort of cool- but there's no way to close them off a little or to fully cap off to help snuff the coals at the end of the cook.

You need to plug your two car exhausts, keep for the looks, plug the small hole and keep the big one.
Temp is controlled with the intake ports. Close one port completely(probably won't need it opened at all).
Light your fire, six coals, add your wood, second intake half open,, put meat on and add t-states. I use a 12" t-stat inch below meat center drum. Watch temp creep up, as it approaches 200° cut intake to 1/4
Open, now the tricky part, you'll have to play with the intake to get your target temp, I cook at 275° to 300°.
My intake is maybe 3/8" open, exhaust full open, temp will cruse right at 275°.
In windy conditions I have to block the intake of direct wind, otherwise it will spike up. Very difficult to get temp back down! Here's a pic of mine running at 275° .

Attachments

• DSCF5295.jpg
    DSCF5295.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 66
I have a question: what size are your intakes? 3/4", 1", 1-1/2" 2"? I can't tell from the pictures.

It seems to be over kill on the exhaust.
I'd probably lose the exhaust tips- they look sort of cool- but there's no way to close them off a little or to fully cap off to help snuff the coals at the end of the cook.

Intakes are 1 1/2.

Yea, I love the look of the exhaust tips. They are actually from my old car I had, so I wanted to use them for a nostalgia feel! After everything being discussed I might have to cut my losses and change things up.

Back