THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nachos4life

Take a breath!
So my buddy who owns a popular Mexican restaurant down the street wants to roast a hog for an event at his place. I of course want in on the action having never cooked a whole pig before.

First question maybe one of you can help with is, how big of a pig do you think I can fit in my pit? I'd like to keep the head on. The bottom rack is approx 52"x22" if I remember correctly. It's a shirley cabinet door style pit. Thanks!!!

I curious the answer to this as well. I would also like to know the dimensions of a 50-60lbs whole hog tied racer style.
sorry if this is sort of a hijack? I think it's on topic and prevents an additional thread...

For reference my main rack is 24"X54" and I routinely cook 110#-115# hogs, head on racer style. My biggest was +125# and it was a little cramped. Here are a couple links.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209052
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193613
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184954
These are awesome! I am cooking one in my Assassin on NYE. Looking at these again has me really amped up!

To the OP, good luck! Cooking hogs is just fun:thumb:

ok so this is happening on monday. supposed to be below zero wind chill when we start that morning with a high of 14deg. hog is about 70lbs. i am guessing it will take about 7-8 hours at 275-300deg. plan on firing up the pit at 5am and have the pig on around 6am. We will have some buffer time as it is not going to be served until about 7pm or so. The chef at the restaurant is brining it in a simple salt/sugar brine sunday night. (this is really the restaurant's deal...I'm just there to run the smoker and pretend I know what I am doing). I'd inject but not sure if that is necessary after a brine. I've never brined pork.
So i have read the hams should face the hot spot which is opposite of the firebox.
Should I worry about sausage or something else over ribs and loins?
I planned to just get the IT to around 200 in the shoulders and hope everything else is good. sound right?
best thing about it is the restaurant is tapping a bunch of great IPAs from Green Flash and Alpine breweries that day!

Sounds like an awesome day ahead!!! Enjoy and take pics so we can ride along... :thumb:

so this cook went down yesterday. The day started off great, but had an unfortunate turn of events. I had to leave the event/cook before seeing it through due to a family medical emergency. Still waiting on test results on that as i type and kill time.
anyway i've got some pics. I didn't get to eat the pig at the time because i left about an hour or two before it was done. Had some leftovers today and it was amazing. Such a great mellow smoke throughout. The loin came out perfect. The shoulders were great. The ham, my partner told me, came out dry. oh well. Jowl meat was great. etc...

this hog was not prepped how i would have done it, but this was not just my cook. we assisted a friend's restaurant. His chef brined the pig overnight. pig was about 70lbs. smoked a shoulder and some pork belly too. He seasoned with a mexican spice rub/paste. I recommended packing chorizo over the ribs and loin areas to protect the meat (it worked and we ate the chorizo on some tacos for a late lunch. they were outstanding.) i would have injected throughout, but that is just me.

we used the shirley fab pit and hickory wood. ran pit at an average of 275. pig took longer than we expected because the door was opened to much and it was cooooooold out. -14 windchill at times. we cranked it up toward the end to cook a bit faster as it had to be done by 630pm. we started at 7am. it was pulled around 530pm or 6pm i think. I had to leave before then and was nervous as hell, but it turned out great!

it was cold

ready to go

beautiful morning in the neighborhood

mopped just a couple times

smoked this shoulder for a few hours then the chef braised it

menu

and the finished hog. i didn't take these. i was not there for it. thats the chef cutting and my comp/vending partner Jamey pulling. overall it was a success. the leftovers tasted damn good. i will do some things differently next time, but learned a lot this time. thanks to the brethren!

Great looking cook! Glad that part of your day went well.

Fingers crossed and prayers on the way that the medical side of the house quickly improves for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Looks great man!! Nice to see a hog on a 24x65 Shirley as that's what I'm picking up in a couple weeks!

Glad things went great for you, congrats, and hope medical issue is all good. Not to be a party pooper, but one thing caught my eye in your post and stuck in my head. You said that you wouldn't have prepared the pig like that...that your friends chef prep'd it and he used different seasonings and such than you would have.

I'm assuming that you are in the team Black Metal Bbq, and possibly the preparing chef isn't? IF that is so, then my attention goes to the menu. IF someone is going to put it on the menu, flyer, etc... that ME or MY TEAM is cooking the meat, then it's going to be done MY WAY. I'm glad it turned out great... but if it hadn't then people eating it would have associated your team with bad bbq. IF I put out something people don't like, then that's on me, but I'm not going to let someone else's recipe carry my name (Team name) unless I KNOW beforehand that it's good. IF he was going to do things his way, I'd have had them put his name, then somewhere mention us as helping or something.
I'm not trying to ruin your moment, and I'm really glad it worked out. Just my 2 cents on not letting someone ruin your good cooking name.

its all good. i trusted the friend and his chef. Didn't even see the menu until later anyway.

it was a scary week healthwise. i was in ER myself shortly after posting the update.

shirley ran GREAT btw in the frigid temps. no insulated firebox. held temp like a champ. maybe even easier than when it is 95 and humid? used only a bit more wood.

Back