THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drallan81

Knows what a fatty is.
I've been using a Pitmaster IQ120 for the past couple of years on my 18" WSM and now my UDS with great success. However, I have occasionally been frustrated w/ the requirement for an AC power source. I cooked turkeys for Thanksgiving this year at my Father-In-Laws and had to run a few extension cords.

I have been really eyeing the PartyQ, but after Christmas couldn't justify the $150+ price tag at the moment. I was however able to find a cool rechargeable battery pack for only $30. It is almost the exact same L x W dimensions as the IQ and about half as thick. Currently it is just held on by rubber bands, but I plan on upgrading to Velcro.

I ran some ribs over the weekend for a test run and it performed flawlessly. I'm not sure what the total battery life will be, am going to try for a butt next weekend. But for now it looks like I have been able to eliminate the need for a power cord.

I'm not an electronics engineer, but I did some quick research and found out that the IQ requires 12v 5A. The battery pack I orderd was a 12v 6A. I'll get pictures up this weekend, but here is a link to the battery I got of Amazon.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MF70BPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I'm not an electronic engineer either, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Based on the link, the battery pack is rated for 6Ah (amp-hours). However, it looks like the max output from the power port is 3A, which means if your IQ required 5A, it wouldn't be able to get it.

I suspect that your IQ won't actually draw 5A. The small fan like what's inside of it will probably actually draw less than 1A when powered. I think you'll be fine, but it might be something to keep an eye on for the first few cooks.

I basically use one of these if I don't have AC. I think I paid around $25-$30 for mine on sale. I went to the local electronics store and bought a cig jack and the correct charging plug, wired the two together and presto!!

Hope that helps

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-JC509-1000-Starter-Compressor/dp/B002X6VXL4/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1483581365&sr=1-4&keywords=car+battery+charger+jump+starter[/ame]

I soldered a barrel connector onto one of these 12V battery holders (8x 1.5V D batteries). Cheap and easy! Plus you can get the batteries anywhere.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Plastic-Storage-Holder-Battery/dp/B00XI51ZQM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1483582468&sr=8-5&keywords=12v+d+battery+holder[/ame]

I hope your experiments work out for you.

Being the frugal (broke) type, I might have been more prone to just run the cookers naked on the rare occasion that I did not have access to 120v. Just one less thing to keep up with.

I'm not an electronic engineer either, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Based on the link, the battery pack is rated for 6Ah (amp-hours). However, it looks like the max output from the power port is 3A, which means if your IQ required 5A, it wouldn't be able to get it.

I suspect that your IQ won't actually draw 5A. The small fan like what's inside of it will probably actually draw less than 1A when powered. I think you'll be fine, but it might be something to keep an eye on for the first few cooks.

Thanks, yeah, I probably should have looked a little closer to the pictures, especially since they have a 12A model available also. So far I haven't had any issues and rarely run the fan on high. Usually its just used for a quick burst to stoke the fire.

I hope your experiments work out for you.

Being the frugal (broke) type, I might have been more prone to just run the cookers naked on the rare occasion that I did not have access to 120v. Just one less thing to keep up with.

The ATC can be a wonderful/terrible thing. Once you get used to the security blanket and a good nights sleep its hard to turn back. What really prompted me for this go around was the higher temp 325 turkey cook. Its one thing if I screw up a butt of my own. But not the family turkey on Thanksgiving. This way I can enjoy myself and family more w/o having to constantly worry about temps.

Don't get me wrong, I still use "I need to watch the smoker" as an excuse to escape outside, smoke cigars and enjoy a beverage. But nobody else needs to know that.

Back