THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I wonder how well it would handle the heat of the BBQ. I don’t think it would be a good match for an uninsulated firebox. I am seriously thinking about trying some for my moberg. To keep some of the raw we have around the doors and the stack. Do linseed oil on the firebox.

Interesting but...

Any thoughts if this might work well on a raw steel smoker - buddy had a bottle in his garage that he uses on his antique truck

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...KC-bSjX4eNJUyU3gGjoTBq4TUUpTjhhoCHmYQAvD_BwE#

Very interesting, BUT....my main question would be, how toxic are the fumes coming from it on a hot smoker when you burn it into the metal...?

I'm guessing you're considering this only for exterior....but still, it would be interesting to know how bad the fumes coming off this might be....?

Just some thoughts...

cayenne

Very interesting, BUT....my main question would be, how toxic are the fumes coming from it on a hot smoker when you burn it into the metal...?

I'm guessing you're considering this only for exterior....but still, it would be interesting to know how bad the fumes coming off this might be....?

Just some thoughts...

cayenne

Yes - just for exterior - and I have an inquiry into the company

I picked this up from a car tv show. Brian Fuller i believe was the "celebrety/host" and he used a product by Flood called Penetrol. They may an oil based version and a waterbased version. A quart is about $15 dollars at Home Depot and i have been using it on my 65 C10 to maintain the patina. A little goes a long way. Not sure how it would hold to the heat but for 1/3rd the cost i would pass on the summit version. Its been HOT AF here in Central Texas all summer and its sill got a bit of sheen to it after 6-7 weeks

My understanding is the clear coat will hold up on the body and stack and maybe an insulated firebox. But not an uninsulated one. Although, my moberg is insulated and the firebox does get pretty warm

Has anyone tried a high heat clear engine paint?

High Heat Engine Paint

I painted some attached parts (hinges and door handle) with engine paint. It turned out well although these parts are somewhat protected by the steel body of cooker underneath. But to paint the whole pit might be pushing it.

The curing smell was much stronger than normal high heat paint

My direct heat cooker was just raw steel - two week ago I applied a thin coat of food grade linseed oil and got a hot fire going (350 plus) and let it run for 3 hours

Then let it sit uncovered in the texas heat for a week - it is taking on a nice bronze color - really like the way it is turning out

Back