Pig Roast coming up, need help with equipment choice

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
Brethren,

I've been kicking around the idea of doing a pig roast for an annual get together we do in October. I'm having a difficult time deciding how to cook the beast.

I have an XL BGE, and a larger firepit. I don't think I can fit the 50-60lb pig on the BGE. I thought about buying some sort of spit to roast over the pig over my firepit, but am coming up short there.

I've also looked and La Caja China and various rotisserie units on line such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-pig-lamb-spit-roast-pig-roaster-rotisserie-spit-/260820837974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cba222656

I'm willing to buy equipment, but my limit is about $500.

HOA won't let me dig a big hole, or put up the cinder block pit. Cool ideas, just can't happen.

Any suggestions, feedback or lessons learned? Thanks so much!!

I have never done this, but want to and have been doing research. I stumled on places that will rent a cooker/smoker/off set that can do whole hog. It should be in your budget. Just thought I would throw out that option for you. Good luck and remember to post pics...

i've got a caja china, the bigger one, it's a great cooker, and well within your $500 range. Only thing, you're not getting "smoked" pig, more like just roasted. Caja china does sell a smoke injector for their roasters thou, might be worth looking into. Follow the directions closely, i use slightly less charcoal then they recommend because i like to let it cook slightly longer. If you follow their instructions perfectly, the hams are usually around 165-170 and the shoulders are in the same range. If you stretch it out a little, you'll hit the 190's quite easily.

TJguy, Thanks. I stumbled across that too, and it would be a GREAT option,but I can't find anyone local that does that. There may be, but they aint on the internet. :(

earlymornin'smokin', Thank you. When you hit the 190's does it pull like if you smoked a butt to the 190's? What if you pull it when the hams are in the 165-170's? Is slicing the gig then? I really want the thing to just fall apart.

I am also thinking about doing it porchetta style. Do you think that could work in a caja china? Or would it be too thick?

I'd also thought about cooking in the caja china and then finishing up the last 30 over the fire pit, when you would normally flip it. Think that might add a little smoke finish at the end? I know it wouldn't be like smoking it, just kinda reaching... :)

Check with Boshizzle on the La Caja China. That would be your best bet for the money IMO.

I'm sure that's way over $500

Nope not to bad over his budget but well worth the extra cash. My buddy called and ordered a used one they had while doing demo's and paid $550 for it with like $125 shipping (?)... BRAND NEW is $725 and it will fit the size whole hog he wants just fine. Also it does great for butt's, brisket... heck it is a good cooker indeed.
They are VERY well built, just something for the poster to think about.

Pig Roasters > PR36 Backyard BBQ Smoker

PR36-Backyard-BBQ-Smoker_1.jpg

PR36 Backyard BBQ Smoker

This backyard BBQ smoker is Meadow Creek's most versatile cooker and designed especially for homeowners interested in a heavy duty charcoal grill. It's the perfect size for cooking for family and friends.
Best of all, this backyard smoker cooks a large variety of meats and lets you barbecue the way you want to. It's a charcoal grill with direct heat, a smoker with low temperature, and a pig roaster all in one! Smoke a small hog or a couple pork butts or briskets using indirect heat, and then put the steaks, burgers, and hotdogs on direct heat.
If you need more space, add a 2nd Tier Grate to almost double your cooking area. Or add a charcoal pullout and doors in the lid which lets you check on your meat and load the cooker with charcoal without opening the door and losing a lot of heat and time.
Similar to the SQ36 BBQ Smoker, this barbecue eliminates the offset firebox and adds a drip pan for smoking with indirect heat or roasting a whole pig. Add water or apple juice to the pan and it becomes a water smoker. Build your fire in the grilling pan to grill burgers and other grill foods with high heat.

Price: $725.00 (USD) • Quantity:
button-add-to-cart-yellow.png

Check with a local bank... They usually have a large smoker for their cookouts that they will loan out to people....it's advertising for them.

Our biggest welding company builds hog roasters and rents them out.
I would use a good search engine, include your local area and see if you can rent one.
Some larger butcher houses may know somebody you can rent one too.

i've got a caja china, the bigger one, it's a great cooker, and well within your $500 range. Only thing, you're not getting "smoked" pig, more like just roasted. Caja china does sell a smoke injector for their roasters thou, might be worth looking into. Follow the directions closely, i use slightly less charcoal then they recommend because i like to let it cook slightly longer. If you follow their instructions perfectly, the hams are usually around 165-170 and the shoulders are in the same range. If you stretch it out a little, you'll hit the 190's quite easily.

ditto

plus the optional grill and wind screen serve as an excellent grill top.

Also, the ash starts to insulate the cooker and reduce the heat making it's way into the cooker, on a windy day you can go through a lot of charcoal and never reach temperature if you don't keep clearing on the ash.

Thanks guys for the great suggestions!

That rental link is very interesting, thanks for finding that. I hate spending that much just to rent something, but it may very well end up the way I go. Either that or the caja china. Would be less than renting, and I'd own something. Lots to ponder.

pig cooker

did a 275lb pig on a meadow creek pr this past weekend awsome cookers rented for 50.00 used about 100lb charcoal did a awsome job

Back