Pickled Bacon-on-a-Stick and Gatorbeans (Quench Your Thirst)

Hamdrew

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Hamdrew
Split a slab in half last Friday, so 9 day dry cure- One with just sugar+salt+cure1. It got rubbed with powdered pickling spices ( mustard seed, allspice, coriander seeds, cloves, ginger, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, sage and cinnamon). The other got cured with the pickling spices, and only black pepper and cayenne for its rub. The latter won unanimously without telling either "judge" the difference. The smoked pickling spices give it a really strong breakfast sausage-y profile, and of course very bacon-y; Has become probably my favorite rub for cured ribs.

Smoked on the WSM with mostly cherry, one tiny chunk of apple. I use the exhaust to control temps and fudged up a little bit: For 225*F i close two intakes and barely crack the third which is positioned opposite the door. Exhaust about 1/8th open. One lit/ashed over chimney (barely full for Weber/standard size, mine is very old and smaller) will hold that temp for another 6+hrs, BUT the charcoal ring needs to be right up against the intake, and that is where I went wrong today. Lit a dozen more coals, but it was pretty much stuck at 210*F and I did not want to risk dirty smoke. 3:2:0.5'd, foiled iwith fake butter, pineapple jelly, a little coconut oil, and a little Country Bob's BBQ sauce) n the oven at 250*F to compensate, and the last bit 275*F to caramelize the glaze (foil juice+ Country Bob's)

Beans had onions, garlic, watermelon, strawberry, peaches, pineapple, and one little cherry. Also some unpictured Kraft Catalina dressing. Added some cilantro about an hour before cutting heat, and when that happened mixed in a lot more cilantro and some more finely diced watermelon. VERY refreshing, "judges" were in disbelief that it was half fruit but understood that's why they were so tangy yet crisp/thirst-quenching.

img_20210613_133337-jpg.499917

img_20210613_175440-jpg.499918

img_20210613_175549-jpg.499919

img_20210613_181126-jpg.499920

img_20210613_183213-jpg.499921

img_20210613_183452-jpg.499922

img_20210613_184145-jpg.499923

img_20210613_191053-jpg.499924

Well that sure reads interesting, another use for watermelon:thumb:

they were real good. only thing i'd change is mix in more fruit right before serving, and garnish with a lot of cilantro. mexican hot sauce and lime juice or tajin to taste

I would have never thought to try the beans that way. That's another reason I like this place so much. Always something new to learn. What's next mustard on the watermelon

I would have never thought to try the beans that way. That's another reason I like this place so much. Always something new to learn. What's next mustard on the watermelon

I'm sure mustard could be good, maybe Fat Boy's (Habanero) hot apple cider honey mustard. That Tajin lime-chile salt is intended to be a fruit seasoning, and (MX) hot sauce on watermelon isn't uncommon, nor is watermelon in salsa or pico

I've read about curing ribs before. Always figured it wasn't for me. Maybe...Maybe I need to try it after all.

$1.89/lb at Aldi's.. just sayin'

As for if they're "for you", i think having bacon with handles ready in 3-7 days max (for fat untrimmed slabs) is for everyone; the world would be a better place if more people had bacon for dinner

Back