Pellet Grill with Direct Heat for Grilling

For what it’s worth, I sold my gasser and use my MAK for all my grilling. I have an assassin 48” when I feel like grilling or smoking with charcoal and wood. I have a MAK 1 Star with FZ. It is the real deal for grilling, but I wanted something a little bit bigger. I looked at the LSG pellet and Yoder YS640S. I am on the waiting list for the LSG, but pulled the trigger on the Yoder 640S instead. Both the Yoder and LSG contracted FireBoard for their controllers, so A+ for both of them for that. LSG uses thicker steel in firebox, but I didn’t need anything that thick. LSG uses 40 lb hopper. I prefer the 20 lb. That’s just my preference, though. LSG is easier to clean the burn pot as their is nothing to remove to get to it. Yoder you have to remove 1 grate and the trap door. Easier than my MAK. I prefer the 4 bottom grates of the Yoder to the 1 pull out expanded metal grate of the LSG. When I contacted Chris at LSG, even with my military discount I’d end up paying around 500$ more than what I got the Yoder for after you account for shipping on both. If the price was even, I probably would have waited for the LSG, but 500$ buys a lot of meat. So at the end of the day, I’ll have the Assassin if I want charcoal and the MAK and Yoder if I want pellet. The MAK with FZ is a grilling machine and a gas killer in my opinion. More on the Yoder in the near future after it comes in. As far as separate cookers, I used to have upwards to 7 on the back patio. As I’ve gotten older, I realized I’m a weekend warrior backyard cook. Give me one cooker great at everything instead of multiple cookers perfect for 1 thing. So now I’m down to 3 cookers and the only reason I’m keeping the MAK is because it’s been rock solid and doesn’t have a big footprint. I’ll never get out of it what it’s actually worth.

For what it’s worth, I sold my gasser and use my MAK for all my grilling. I have an assassin 48” when I feel like grilling or smoking with charcoal and wood. I have a MAK 1 Star with FZ. It is the real deal for grilling, but I wanted something a little bit bigger. I looked at the LSG pellet and Yoder YS640S. I am on the waiting list for the LSG, but pulled the trigger on the Yoder 640S instead. Both the Yoder and LSG contracted FireBoard for their controllers, so A+ for both of them for that. LSG uses thicker steel in firebox, but I didn’t need anything that thick. LSG uses 40 lb hopper. I prefer the 20 lb. That’s just my preference, though. LSG is easier to clean the burn pot as their is nothing to remove to get to it. Yoder you have to remove 1 grate and the trap door. Easier than my MAK. I prefer the 4 bottom grates of the Yoder to the 1 pull out expanded metal grate of the LSG. When I contacted Chris at LSG, even with my military discount I’d end up paying around 500$ more than what I got the Yoder for after you account for shipping on both. If the price was even, I probably would have waited for the LSG, but 500$ buys a lot of meat. So at the end of the day, I’ll have the Assassin if I want charcoal and the MAK and Yoder if I want pellet. The MAK with FZ is a grilling machine and a gas killer in my opinion. More on the Yoder in the near future after it comes in. As far as separate cookers, I used to have upwards to 7 on the back patio. As I’ve gotten older, I realized I’m a weekend warrior backyard cook. Give me one cooker great at everything instead of multiple cookers perfect for 1 thing. So now I’m down to 3 cookers and the only reason I’m keeping the MAK is because it’s been rock solid and doesn’t have a big footprint. I’ll never get out of it what it’s actually worth.

Have had the same experience with MAK. Couldn’t believe the difference the Flame Zone made when they released it in 2017. Will be super interested to hear what ya think of the Yoder compared to the MAK.

OP, for a less expensive pellet grill solution with direct grilling take a look at CampChefs. Easy fire pot clean out too. As someone else mentioned get some grill grates.

Have had the same experience with MAK. Couldn’t believe the difference the Flame Zone made when they released it in 2017. Will be super interested to hear what ya think of the Yoder compared to the MAK.

That’s the plan. I really want to do some blind visual/taste comparisons. Thinking about maybe doing some videos on the 2.

Don't forget about Cookshack's Fast Eddie PG500 and PG1000. All stainless, commercial quality controller and dedicated direct flame zone. My buddy has one and it is rock solid and American made.

Thanks all. I’m convinced the 2 in 1 high end option is the YS640. Then the question is what’s the better setup, a Weber gasser for $800 and a mid cost pellet grill like RecTeq/GMG (so all-in at or a little under $2,000), or the YS640 as the single solution? Assuming space isn’t an issue and there’s more use grilling than smoking. I still wonder if the YS640 can compete with the convenience of a gasser for your average weeknight grilling. Regarding LSG, one issue I’ve come across is shipping. I was quoted $900+ for shipping to the northeast for an average sized offset. That makes it out of budget.

I have a YS 640 for a few years and have yet to use it in searing/grilling mode. I find my 4 burner gas Genesis far more convenient for grilling vs trying to play over a small hole in a diffuser plate.

For high temp grilling and searing, my experience was the SmokeFire is in a class of it's own as far as pellet grills. It does sear pretty well, better than some of the cheaper gassers I had in the past. However, it comes with a set of odd quirks that frequently change with software updates at no extra charge from Weber. It had enough quirks or moods that I gave up and went to a MAK to get a more consistent and reliable performing cooker. When Weber figures out how to do better with their software and firmware updates and remembers how to QA products well again, it will probably be a pretty stellar offering in that $1000 and under price point. It is also assembled in the USA (from globally sourced parts), which is unique for that price range. Weber is definitely trying hard to get it right, they just haven't gotten it completely dialed in yet.

I agree with Glitchy. In my experience, the SmokeFire can flat-out grill. It can be a finicky little devil though. Most of the issues I've run into are during long low-slow cooks. I haven't given up on it yet, though.

Thank you. My MAK 1 Star doesn’t have flame zone. Is it the real deal and allow direct grilling on the entire grill grate? I was thinking about this as the high end option, but also YS640. Same price with more space on the first rack. MAK is a little small if you’re only using the first rack, which would be the case for grilling.

The MAK 1-Star General Grill does come standard with the FlameZone. This was not always the case, but has been for the last year and a half.

As a current MAK owner, if you're looking to get into a top-of-the-line pellet grill with direct heating, you would do well to contact MAK about getting into a new One-Star General with FlameZone.

Anyone have experience with the Weber Pellets, now that the Gen2 is out? It looks like it would be a good choice for direct cooking because it is more open to the flame.

As a current MAK owner, if you're looking to get into a top-of-the-line pellet grill with direct heating, you would do well to contact MAK about getting into a new One-Star General with FlameZone.

Thanks, this is for a friend. He's been grilling on a mid/large sized grill (maybe 600 sq inches) so I think the MAK may be a little small since he's going to continue to use it for a lot of grilling. I've sent many other people to MAK, but this may not be the right fit.

Back