PBC Chicken

IllinoidRick

Knows what a fatty is.
Cooked a whole chicken in my PBC today. Finally in the 40's and not too windy.

Followed RonL's brine recipe with water, salt, sugar and soy sauce with a sprinkle of rub. Brined overnight then rinsed and rubbed with Plowboys Yardbird rub. Put in way too much soy but no problem with the finished chicken

Filled the firebox with RO briqs and about 10% RO lump. Haven't used RO briqs before. Way different smell when firing up than KBB. Added two fist size chunks of Apple for some smoke.

PBC ran at the normal 280 to 310 temps with RO briquettes. Was not sure if the PBC would run the same but it did. Chicken was done in just under 2 hours. Breast meat at 165 and legs (hanging down near the fire) about 180. Since the chicken was done early put it I a half pan and into the cooler to wait till the taters were done.Taters made with garlic, and onion rub and baked in the oven at 400 till done. Sorry no pix of the taters, ate them all up.

Dinner was great with leftovers for later this week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 175
Looks great, I assume when you say the legs were down by the fire, you used the hooks to hang the chicken, I use the same method on the WSM and it works great

Great looking chicken brother!! The PBC is a tough act to follow when it comes to poultry. It does a outstanding job for sure. A friendly tip. If you have access to Ozark Oak lump, give it a try in your PBC. It burns VERY clean. No acrid smell at all. It imparts a faint oak smoke without the use of additional wood. It and Rockwood are two of the best lumps out there. I use Rockwood when I want a neutral taste and Ozark Oak when I want a hint of oak smoke. Again great job!!

The PBC is a chicken cooker for sure ever had a bad cook. have to look to see if I have Ozark Oak Lump here in Illinoid.

Mine won't hold those temps. Starts out at 290 and drops to 250 or less.

I'm hungry for some chicken now. Looks great! I wouldn't turn down a Dragon's Milk, either. Nice job.

Back