Overcoming the obstacles and Murphy's Law of BBQ....

MarleyMan

is one Smokin' Farker
Well Bretheren, grab a cold one and enjoy this tale of hilarity (well a day later to me it is anyhow) :mrgreen:

My wife was out of town for the weekend and my father's and my GSD's birthday happen to fall on the same day. My wife does not dig ribs too much so I figure I will cook up some ribs and have a lil' get together in the backyard as it was a beautiful day.

I get up early and make a run to the Restaraunt Depot and pick up a cryo 3 pk of ribs to cook and a nice 13# Angus packer for Memorial Day weekend along with some RO Lump #since a fellow Bretheren MattCom recommended it to me#.

Let me back track for a minute though...we went on vacation a month ago and our landlord was going to do some work in our bathroom while we were away. I put the keys in the heat shield of the WSM which has an aftermarket cover. I told him " hey the keys are in the bottom silver pan on the cooker - see it?" I get back home and I see some nuts/bolts/parts on the deck.."What's this, I don't recognize this?" - throw them in the drawer just in case.

So I go to do a cook 2 weeks later, pull off my cover and realize the handle to the door is GONE - WTF?:twitch:
Then it hits me..."AARGH!!!!":mad2:
I found the Handle in the garden below our deck and grabbed the parts from the drawer and reassembled. It was loose, not like factory and it got me through the cook.

Fast forward to yesterday (yeah I know this is long....why I said grab a beer - it get's better I promise!)

I get back from the depot fire up the WSM, trim the ribs and throw them on. About an hour later I check the fire as it dropped in temp...open the door and I hear a "CLUNK" as the handle falls away from the door:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

So I remove the center section, of course with the lump this fire just starts RAGING! I need to fix the door, so I decide this fire is too hot now. Remove the cover from the kettle and dump the coals in there, melting my leather gloves in the process.

Shut the vent's on the kettle so I could save the coals.

Time to fix the door...no screws I had were large enough in diameter to bite in to the plastic since I lost the threaded insert and bolt in the coals and fishing through raging coals was out of the question at this point!:razz:

"Oh a wall anchor..maybe that will work?" - :loco:

Nope....

So after electrical tape, multiple wall anchors, foil and short of a welder I remeber using toothpicks to shore up an enlarged strap button on my guitar - BINGO!!!!:clap2:

I ended up starting a brand new fire in the WSM and got it going again.

Well i got through the cook , the door finally fell apart again at the end of the cook and controlling temps was a PITA.

We had fun, ribs were not the prettiest...but damn good!

Oh and I decided I need more room..so I ordered a 22" WSM today. I will order a new door assembly Monday from Weber and put the 18" on CL if a friend does not buy it.

Thank god for beer and patient guests here is the pron...:clap:

ribsa.jpg

ribsb.jpg

ribsc.jpg

Well thanks! I needed a couple beers and bro' you gave me the time. So did he unscew the fire door handle or what?? Weird. Glad you had a good time and made it through that mess :)

You're gonna send the landlord a bill for all the repairs to your cooker I hope.

Not sure I'd want them working on my bathroom either.

The door handles on the newer WSMs break pretty easy from reports I've read here. Weber will make it right. Call customer service tomorrow.

Good Brethren ingenuity to get through the cook though! Everything looks really good.

Well thanks! I needed a couple beers and bro' you gave me the time. So did he unscew the fire door handle or what?? Weird. Glad you had a good time and made it through that mess :)

What I "think" happened was he tried to yank the cover off (I have an aftermarket cover and it does fit snug) even though I showed him they were in the heat shield pan. So there was truly no need to pull off the cover.

Going to call Weber CS here shortly and get a new door assembly on the way, so I can fix it and sell it to help pay for the cost of my new 22.5" WSM that is on the way :mrgreen:

El Ropo...I don't even want to go there, the job they did on the bathroom was "par for the course".

Hope you guys got a chuckle out of my fiasco, I took me a little while (and a couple of beers) before I was able to laugh about it after I got the cooker going again.

EDIT: Gotta love that Weber CS, new door assembly on the way no questions asked!

Last edited:
Back