Outlaw Patio Smoker

fatguy

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
FatGuy
Hi Guys,

Anyone have any feedback on what they like or dislike about the Outlaw patio smokers?

I initially had my mind set on an outlaw but found a deal on a Pitts & Spits on Friday and grabbed it. Two days later a used outlaw came up for sale...

Outlaw just seemed cool which is why it was on my list but the P&S seems like a pretty good unit. If it matters this is my first offset smoker.

The Outlaw looks to be a better built smoker but nearly twice the price.

Pitts and Spitts has only a 3/16 cook chamber and I don't like the weird door design.

Seems you could lose some heat with that door since it can't be air tight across the top edge or sides.

I have no experience with either. Hate to say it, but I would prefer the Outlaw over the one you bought but it would come down to price, condition, and size.

You don't mention the price of either, so maybe you got a deal too good to pass up on the Pitts and Spitts.

I have both Outlaws and Shirley. Let me know what you'd like to compare. Two different smokers all together, but I like both of them. I'd be happy to send you my number and talk you through anything.

For the record I'd pick up an Outlaw over a Pitts any and all days of the week

Thanks guys. I grabbed this Pitts and Spits for only $900 so it was a great deal. I can get an outlaw for $3500 so that is what I am trying to decide on. I think the Pitts and Spits was around $3500 with the stainless firebox and a new outlaw is around $5k? The insulated firebox seems like it would keep temp better and longer. But this is my first offset so learning curve either way

Here is the smoker I just picked up.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/773800923912243/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Thanks guys. I grabbed this Pitts and Spits for only $900 so it was a great deal. I can get an outlaw for $3500 so that is what I am trying to decide on. I think the Pitts and Spits was around $3500 with the stainless firebox and a new outlaw is around $5k? The insulated firebox seems like it would keep temp better and longer. But this is my first offset so learning curve either way

Here is the smoker I just picked up.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/773800923912243/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Me personally, I'd take my steal of a deal and be completely happy. No way (in my mind) could I justify $3.5k after getting a steal for $900 on a very nice pit - even if not quite the caliber of an Outlaw. There's always something a little nicer, a little sexier - but I also appreciate the value of a deal like you got!

I was looking at some pricey gravity feeds in the $4-$5k range, and found my twice used Meadow Creek BX25 for $1,900 ($4k+ new) and jumped and didn't look back. Not my dream pit, not gravity fed, but still a heck of a deal and does the job nicely.

Me personally, I'd take my steal of a deal and be completely happy. No way (in my mind) could I justify $3.5k after getting a steal for $900 on a very nice pit - even if not quite the caliber of an Outlaw. There's always something a little nicer, a little sexier - but I also appreciate the value of a deal like you got!

I was looking at some pricey gravity feeds in the $4-$5k range, and found my twice used Meadow Creek BX25 for $1,900 ($4k+ new) and jumped and didn't look back. Not my dream pit, not gravity fed, but still a heck of a deal and does the job nicely.

Good advice. I am happy with what I have, it just wasn't the one I thought I wanted if that makes sense.

I have also been eyeing a gravity feed that I don't need - I found a Mixon G20 for $3k and I have been following it for over a month. Could probably get that cheaper if I made an offer.

I think we've been looking at the same smokers. I believe there is an Outlaw smoker at Northern Fire BBQ Supply if you wanted to look one over.

For $900 it was a good deal and will give you a smoker to try your hand at stick burning.

Find a good wood supplier, learn fire management on your new toy and see how long you stay interested.

If you're still smokin' a year or two down the road, you will probably get the "itch" to upgrade.

In the mean time, hang out here as there are a lot of folks who are experienced with offsets that don't mind helping out if you ask.

I think we've been looking at the same smokers. I believe there is an Outlaw smoker at Northern Fire BBQ Supply if you wanted to look one over.

Was there last week and they had a couple Yoders but not an outlaw in the showroom. I know Aaron has an outlaw though but it wasn't on my mind at teh time.

And please leave these smokers for me!!

For $900 it was a good deal and will give you a smoker to try your hand at stick burning.

Find a good wood supplier, learn fire management on your new toy and see how long you stay interested.

If you're still smokin' a year or two down the road, you will probably get the "itch" to upgrade.

In the mean time, hang out here as there are a lot of folks who are experienced with offsets that don't mind helping out if you ask.

Thanks! I have a lot to learn about offsets. My initial concern was how much I have to baby it but I did a quick chicken cook and it was less work than I was thinking. May have just been lucky but it seemed to hold temp pretty good.

Where are you in MN? I'm over in Alexandria now.

Was there last week and they had a couple Yoders but not an outlaw in the showroom. I know Aaron has an outlaw though but it wasn't on my mind at teh time.

And please leave these smokers for me!!

Good to see it move. That Outlaw sat for a long time unless it was a full-time floor model.

I don't know how far you're willing to drive but Kansas City offers all kinds of used smokers. I've done a few day road trips down and back to pick up smokers. It might be worth looking into. You will find some local deals in the area if you keep on top of it. I picked up my Shirley that way.

Good to see it move. That Outlaw sat for a long time unless it was a full-time floor model.

I don't know how far you're willing to drive but Kansas City offers all kinds of used smokers. I've done a few day road trips down and back to pick up smokers. It might be worth looking into. You will find some local deals in the area if you keep on top of it. I picked up my Shirley that way.

I don't know much about any of these offset smokers - just had an outlaw on my mind as one that would be cool to own. Wasn't even aware of a Shirley until seeing these posts.

I noted in another thread that the Pitts and Spits smoker has a really short stack (the rain cap on the top also looks like it might obstruct airflow a bit). Did you have any annoyances with smoke blowing in your face? Maybe that could be part of the fun however!

I noted in another thread that the Pitts and Spits smoker has a really short stack (the rain cap on the top also looks like it might obstruct airflow a bit). Did you have any annoyances with smoke blowing in your face? Maybe that could be part of the fun however!

I think the pellet stacks are very short - this is what I would call medium. Pic of mine is above in the fb link. Have only run it one time and no issues with smoke in my face :)

I had a Potts and spitts 24x48 offset many years ago. From what I can tell, they haven’t changed much if at all since I had mine. I currently have a workhorse 1975 and quite honestly, there is no comparison whatsoever. The workhorse is so much easier to run. The pits and spitts firebox is tiny, and I didn’t like the roll lid. That being said, for what u paid for it, that’s a good deal. Just use smaller splits and have fun! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a Potts and spitts 24x48 offset many years ago. From what I can tell, they haven’t changed much if at all since I had mine. I currently have a workhorse 1975 and quite honestly, there is no comparison whatsoever. The workhorse is so much easier to run. The pits and spitts firebox is tiny, and I didn’t like the roll lid. That being said, for what u paid for it, that’s a good deal. Just use smaller splits and have fun! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks - the guy I got my yoder pellet grill from upgraded to a 1975 wagon - pretty cool smoker!

Back