Opportunity to Buy a Cookshack Amerique...

Libertarian

Full Fledged Farker
I've had my eye on Cookshack smokers off and on for a number of years now. I have a chance go buy one that is about three years old with fifty or so cooks on it. Looks to be in good condition. Just wondering if any of the brethren have any thoughts on this smoker?

I currently own a Lang 60, a Kamado Joe and a Pitmaker Safe. I'm using the Lang mostly these days. If the Cookshack can keep temps as low as 140-150 this would make it pretty attractive as I enjoy smoking fish and would love to try smoking nuts and cheeses. With that said I would still us it primarily for smoking meat.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I can probably get it for $1,000 or so.

Thanks in advance!

Before I got my FEC100, I had an SM020, the baby brother of the Amerique. It put out some great que. Some whiners will say its not real que since it's electric, but I never had any complaints from anyone. My daughter has it now and it's still going strong.

Only thing it can't really do is chicken. Only gets up to 300, so you get rubber skin. Although I did smoke several turkeys and threw them in a hot oven to crisp up the skin.

I had one for about six years and only sold it to get into a larger Cookshack FEC-100. They used to make a cold smoke kit for it that consisted of a baffle plate you put on the bottom shelf. You can also add an Aluminum pan full of ice if you want to keep temp's down. Here are my words of wisdom:

- Offer $750 and see if they will bite. Accessories like the cover, rib racks, etc. add value. Make sure the meat temperature probe is included and working as that's over $100 by itself. The cook and hold feature is very convenient.

- These are pretty much bullet proof, but if the heat element gets even slightly chipped it will trip GFI outlets until it warms up. Simple solution is to run a heavy gauge extension cord inside your house to a non GFI outlet.

- Very easy to over smoke as wood chunks smolder instead of burning clean. You literally need 1 to 2 oz. of Wood Chunks on a cook. If it's well-seasoned you don't need wood at all for poultry.

- No worry about burning your house down on overnight cooks.

- Insulated Stainless steel made-in-America cabinet does not care how cold it is outside.

- You will not get a smoke ring if that is important to you.

- Amerique is a rib cooking machine! I also cooked everything from Salmon to Wild Boar in mine.

Enjoy it!

Back