Only burnt ends?

dsouthmayd

Have you ever heard of someone turning in brisket burnt ends without the slices? I am pretty sure it is technically legal to do it, but I have never heard of anyone doing this. Thoughts? Maybe pictures of a burnt end only box? 😎

Did this myself a few years ago.

Wasn't happy with my slices, but my burnt ends were spectacular, so I only submitted the BEs.

The result: 4th place out of 43 teams.

Never done BE only, but I would if my slices were crap.

For pork, I have done a money muscle only box, as well as a pulled/chunk only box. If the taste doesn't match up to what I'm expecting or wanting, then I'm not going to turn it in. Can't get judged on what's not in your box.

The timeliness of this thread is interesting. Big Poppa just posted on FB he is no longer turning in BEs due to getting better scores with slices only. (As opposed to both)

As I've always heard though, only turn in your best product.

The timeliness of this thread is interesting. Big Poppa just posted on FB he is no longer turning in BEs due to getting better scores with slices only. (As opposed to both)

As I've always heard though, only turn in your best product.

The problem is that KCBS gives the judges the pull test for the slices, but unless it has changed, there is very little guidelines for what a properly cooked BE is?

The problem is that KCBS gives the judges the pull test for the slices, but unless it has changed, there is very little guidelines for what a properly cooked BE is?

Exactly.
It’s nothing against the judges, but in my opinion it’s just too risky turning in BEs in the chance you get an inexperienced judge that gets turned off by the slightest taste/texture of fat. I haven’t even been cooking the points at a comp. But I’m really looking forward to the family meal I get to have when I smoke up a mountain of BEs after a few comps.

Back