ok I bought this stuff. Now what do I do with it LOL

ButtBurner

Babbling Farker
I was at a fireplace store this past weekend while at my cabin. We are looking to put a wood stove in and are checking things out.

By the front door I eye some BBQ stuff. They carry Primo and GMG and The Good One pits

But what caught my eye was the wood. The had bags of chunks. I saw pecan. I have never seen any pecan in my neck if th e woods for sale

had to buy a bag. Its about 10 lbs

Dont really know what to do with it.

If I put it in my offset I would burn the whole thing in no time

I am thinking just to try it in one of my vertical charcoal cookers, they are like WSM clones, works the same way.

So maybe 2-3 pieces spread thoughout the lump? But I never go through a whole load of lump in a cook, I can usually get a few cooks out of it

But what about the offset? I burn hickory and cherry in it, I do use apple too.

I am thinking that if I just put a few pieces on during a cook that I would just be wasting it

any thoughts on either cooker?

thanks

Personally, chunks are better used for cookers that use charcoal or lump. You can put a few pieces in, get great smoke, boom. You could use with your offset but you're right, you'll probably go through it in a hurry.

I would use it on your vertical charcoal cookers spreading 2-4 fist sized pieces throughout the charcoal, or on one of your kettles.

I love pecan wood. It is my go to wood for beef. It is a inbetween the intensity of oak and hickory.

thanks

Since my verticals use so little fuel I think I will cut the pieces a little smaller and spread them out more

a lot of times, when I just use 2-3 pieces, after the cook I look a whats leftover and the fire never did reach the smoking wood, or very little of it

I just spread the lit coals over the unlit in the pan, maybe I should change how I do that so I know the fire is reaching the smoke wood. I have a few ideas how I can do a better job with that

I was at a fireplace store this past weekend while at my cabin. We are looking to put a wood stove in and are checking things out.

By the front door I eye some BBQ stuff. They carry Primo and GMG and The Good One pits

But what caught my eye was the wood. The had bags of chunks. I saw pecan. I have never seen any pecan in my neck if th e woods for sale

had to buy a bag. Its about 10 lbs

Dont really know what to do with it.

If I put it in my offset I would burn the whole thing in no time

I am thinking just to try it in one of my vertical charcoal cookers, they are like WSM clones, works the same way.

So maybe 2-3 pieces spread thoughout the lump? But I never go through a whole load of lump in a cook, I can usually get a few cooks out of it

But what about the offset? I burn hickory and cherry in it, I do use apple too.

I am thinking that if I just put a few pieces on during a cook that I would just be wasting it

any thoughts on either cooker?

thanks
Yeah, just use it in your charcoal cooker. Be careful though because once you've tasted pecan you'll get hooked! Flavor wise it is by far my favorite smoking wood, a sweeter, nuttier version of hickory! Good on any kind of meat!:wink:

I use pecan chunks in the UDS and in the Weber kettle. Pecan has become my go to because it is rather mild but the kids/wife love it, quite a bit more than mesquite. I did a smoked turkey breast yesterday on the drum with just one fist sized chunk buried in the charcoal and the had just the right amount of smokiness.

Back