Offset smoker for a newbie

bitjglr

Found some matches.
I've been contemplating getting a offset smoker. To be honest I don't need another cooker, it's just a itch I have. It wouldn't be my main cooker, I would probably only use it once a month during the summer. I have been reading about them and fully understand the commitment required to fire management to obtain good results. I don't want to spend a lot of money, in the neighborhood of $500 and I don't mind doing some restoration work. My question is do I hold out for an older beat-up unit made with 1/4" steel or will something like a Oklahoma Joe suffice. I have no interest cooking with a combination of charcoal and wood I want a wood fire only. Are the units with thinner metal that munch more frustrating to cook on? I have seen some Pitts & Spitts for good prices.

I'd look for something used and with thicker steel. I think a bunch of people get frustrated chasing temps with the big box store smokers and kind of ruin the fun and enjoyment of it. A cheaper stamped together smoker can still produce great grub! You get for what you pay for. An expensive smoker doesn't necessarily going to make you excellent bbq because it cost more but it will help you ease some of the extra work of it. Plus if you find a thicker smoker you'll probably recoup most of your money back if it isn't your thing.

https://youtu.be/jKV7n5RcL4k

do you have to use lump? Just curious...btw...in Minnesota here as well.

I use straight sticks with my reverse flow smoker .

I'm about 95% complete restoring an older smaller Brinkmann Cimarron offset smoker. I'm not sure how well that will run with straight sticks. I'm guessing it will have to be a combo of lump and sticks. I'm also working on restoring a gravity fed Backyard Bomber cabinet smoker. (Built it Cannon Falls MN) It will be a combo of lump and wood chunks.

Get a used better made one. You mentioned that you saw some Pitts and Spitts, I’d jump on one of those.

I noticed that Pitts and Spitts too. Last I saw down to $825? Timing is just wrong for me. Please get it so I can live vicariously through you :laugh:

I noticed that Pitts and Spitts too. Last I saw down to $825? Timing is just wrong for me. Please get it so I can live vicariously through you :laugh:

Am I missing where this Pitts and Spitts is for sale?? $850 is a really good price! BUY BUY BUY! :clap2:

do you have to use lump? Just curious...btw...in Minnesota here as well.

Not at all, some people just swear by it like with charcoal cookers. You'll probably still use at least some to light your sticks, but you can use it to supplement your source of heat (which would otherwise be a bed of coals from burned down splits).

Speaking from experience- I moved from a WSM to an offset with a cheap OKJ Highland for similar reasons. While I enjoyed using it, it was entirely frustrating in ways that heavier smokers are not. It’s problem with poor airflow is bigger than the thickness of metal.

I needed to add unlit lump charcoal to the smoker fairly often to keep the coal bed from going out - unless I kept adding wood chunk or tiny splits every 10-15 minutes.

I’d hold out for a better smoker.

That was exactly my concern. I would like to only add splits every 45 minutes or so, I'm trying to figure out how heavy of smoker I need.
Thanks for your input.

My OK Joe Highland works just fine. I did do some modifications but I don't have to feed it more than every 30-45 minutes and have no problem with keeping temp. Of course I have no experience with the higher grade smokers.

That was exactly my concern. I would like to only add splits every 45 minutes or so, I'm trying to figure out how heavy of smoker I need.
Thanks for your input.

No one here ever talks about them, but I just sold a Pitmaker Sniper. (Long Rifle model) Already miss it. Although I'm going to a gravity fed for several reasons, I could put a split in Sniper about every 2 hours and it would run at 250 like it was an oven. When I put the LSG basket in it, it was even better. If I get another stick burner in the future, it will very likely be another Pitmaker.

If you have academy sports near you. They have a pretty decent offset with about 1/4 steel. Fire management in little offsets is your friend.

Back