# of Thighs in a RD Case

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
rwalters reminded me with his amazing looking thigh post a few days ago I was out of boneless skinless thighs.

So ran to RD to grab a case. I'll normally grind up 20lbs to seal and then seal up the other 20lbs whole thighs. I still have a bit of ground up chicken so this was sealing all whole thighs.

Figured I'd do a formal count this time for no sane reason other than you folks seem to appreciate the finer "random" things in life :becky:. 4 bags in that case and I did 8 thighs per vacuum bag. Took 10 bags of 8 thighs and I had 4 thighs at the end to put into random bags.

So if my geology is correct that is 84 thighs.

At 40lbs means averaging 4lbs per bag and averaging 8oz per thigh.............dammit I went crosseyed again :shocked:

Didn't even have to have my wife check the math.......more than once.........:twitch:

okwAVpwl.jpg

sfrXE7jl.jpg

Only bummer is chicken prices are up right now (especially wings) so the case was $1.5/lb. When I bought them last it was $.80/lb. But still cheap than any grocery store or costco/sams.

Only bummer is chicken prices are up right now (especially wings) so the case was $1.5/lb. When I bought them last it was $.80/lb. But still cheap than any grocery store or costco/sams.

Meat's way up around here...both choice and prime brisket is almost $4/lb at Sam's and full spares are over $3/lb, which I'm not sure I've ever seen.

Meat's way up around here...both choice and prime brisket is almost $4/lb at Sam's and full spares are over $3/lb, which I'm not sure I've ever seen.

I love going to RD and normally can't leave that store with just what I went for. Literally only got that case of thighs. Their beef prices were above costco/sams and even some grocery stores. Pork wasn't a deal there either.

Wings are $4/lb everywhere which is double from not too long ago.

Were any of those thighs competition quality, or are you just stocking up for the next Covid grocery store wipe out?

Were any of those thighs competition quality, or are you just stocking up for the next Covid grocery store wipe out?

Other than no skin there were some that should have worked :becky:. We did pretty good with some skinless turn in though :crazy:.

It's weird to think "damn that whole case is a crap ton of chicken", but then after bagging it's really just 10 dinners for the fam.

Jason - I've done that exact routine three times and at the end each time it's like "Damn, that's a lot of Chicken!!!"

One thing that worked really well for me is once the chicken is cryovac'd and frozen, you can just pull one or two cryovac bags from the freezer and right into a big 12 quart stockpot and simmer to cook. Not quite sous vide but close enough, especially if you want to make a big batch of chicken salad. Best part is you don't even need to wash the stockpot after simmering!

You should be set for a minute or two... lol. That would give me 6, maybe 7 dinners for my tribe. A perfect amount to toss in the freezer :)

Back