THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
So imagine this....

Started a full chimney of coals for the Performer.
Sliced up 1/4 of a red cabbage for those nice long pieces.
Made up some black bean/corn salad as follows:
-1 can black beans, drained
-1 can corn, drained
-1 can diced tomatoes, drained
-1 small can green chiles
-1 red bell pepper, finely diced
-1/2 small red onion, finely diced
-1 nice handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
-2 avocados, cubed small
-juice of 2 limes
-fresh cracked pepper
-Kosher salt
-Granulated garlic

8 tilapia filets (the bagged, frozen ones - thawed.....hey....it's farkin Indiana yo)
-Lightly slathered with EVOO & Dusted liberally with Todd's Dirt

Went out to the grill and dumped the chimney out on 1/2 the charcoal grate
Let the grate get nice and hot.
Fish on the hot grill until flaky, turning once.

Served up for the family as such.....

Small flour tortilla
Nice piece of grilled fish
Red cabbage
Black Bean corn salsa
Dash of Chili Lime Cholula hot sauce
A squeeze from a wedge of lime

No really.....I was serious about the "no pron" thing. :icon_blush:

Last edited:
Sounds good:thumb:, no pics needed for me as we just had fish tacos for dinner. I our case, we had some vac packed Mahi in the freezer that I blackened in CI. When we clean fish after a trip, I usually cut nice big filet steaks for grilling, but take all the little trimmings/smaller filets and vac bag specifically for tacos or hot-pot soups.

Pretty sure a lot of places out here in Cali just use frozen Tilapia and make really good fixins to go on top.

The best shops are the ones you call it though, like a mahi mahi and a wahoo or two sea bass, more expensive for sure tho.

Pretty sure a lot of places out here in Cali just use frozen Tilapia and make really good fixins to go on top.

The best shops are the ones you call it though, like a mahi mahi and a wahoo or two sea bass, more expensive for sure tho.

Most of the fish tacos around here are made with tilapia I think. I think that's a pretty common farm raised fish.

Mahi would be awesome, but yeah....pricey.

Sounds really good but also so unfortunate that it didn't actually happen.
However on a side note, I use tilapia to make a killer Civiche but I have no pictures
so that may not have happened either. :p

Try adding some cumin next time (if you like cumin) as it goes great with the lime and cilantro.

I usually make fish tacos for our fish fry volunteers at church with what ever is left at the end of the night (tilapia, hand breaded cod, or shrimp). Make a slaw with cumin, lime, cilantro, and top it with salsa or some chipolte sauce mixed with mayo and sour cream. Always a big hit. I may have to try your version with the bean and corn mix as that sounds great.

Sounds great! I used to hear Todd's Dirt mentioned a lot when I first came here, now I don't hear about it as much. I still use it all the time - great stuff!

Thanks Wamp!

Sounds great! I used to hear Todd's Dirt mentioned a lot when I first came here, now I don't hear about it as much. I still use it all the time - great stuff!

Thanks Wamp!

Thanks Greg!

Yep. I use it on fish all the time. Shrimp too. Lots of herbs that stuff, but it's still got a nice light, fresh taste.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Try adding some cumin next time (if you like cumin) as it goes great with the lime and cilantro.

I usually make fish tacos for our fish fry volunteers at church with what ever is left at the end of the night (tilapia, hand breaded cod, or shrimp). Make a slaw with cumin, lime, cilantro, and top it with salsa or some chipolte sauce mixed with mayo and sour cream. Always a big hit. I may have to try your version with the bean and corn mix as that sounds great.

Thanks! I'll try that next time. Love cumin!

Back