New Year's Eve butts

eap0510

Full Fledged Farker
Having been a long time since I posted on here I decided to document today's cook. I decided to cook a few butts and share them with the neighbors since we normally get together for New Year's Eve but with COVID that is not happening this year.

I have injected the butts and rubbed them down and they are now getting happy in the fridge. My plan is to put then on the Assassin 28 around 10. AM.
20201231-072238.jpg

I was able to get the butts on as planned at 10. The Stoker has the Assassin locked in at 275. Now it is a waiting game.

20201231-101317.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know what injection and rub you used? Looks great so far

Since I had the cooker fired up I decided to through a rack of ribs to practice for the up coming competition season.

I've been working with a local farmer in sourcing my comp ribs and butts. The butts I am cooking to today are from Sam's Club so nothing special there but the ribs are from my source. Since I am working directly with the farmer I asked that when they cut my ribs to leave the belly on it so that I trim them down to what I am wanting. By doing this I can leave or remove as much of the fat cap from the ribs as I want. This is only the second time I have cooked these ribs so I am still experimenting with how to trim the ribs.
20201231-105647.jpg

Close up shot
20201231-105657.jpg

All rubbed up and waiting to go on now.
Capture.png

Everything is looking very good so far. Super cool you found a local source

It definitely has some serious advantages for I am able to request exactly what I am looking for. The really nice thing is that my guy is willing to work with me in getting the ribs and butts butchered to my specifics. I cooked a contest last year using his butts and was able to get second place right out of the gate with them. This was at the Hawgin on Lainer contest in Cumming Ga. There were some serious hitters at that contest so I was beside myself when I took 2nd pork and 10th overall.

Back