New to the site and new to the WSCGC.

SemiSub

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Stephen
Hello from Texas,

Happy to be a part of the forum and learn from all of the experience here! I recently purchased a Weber Summit Charcoal before they change them a bit here soon. This is my first kamado grill/smoker as I only have had experience grilling on a Weber Q and then a Genesis 330.

Have done some cooks with the Summit Charcoal and like it so far, though it is definitely a more formal process than the gas burners. If anybody here uses this grill I would love to get your input on reverse searing. I know some still prefer traditional sear/cook for steaks, but when I tried the reverse on my gas grill and I don't think I can ever go back.

Anyway, I have tried to watch some videos and it seems many use the deflector plate and then somehow have the charcoal raised in the upper grate for the sear which seems difficult to pull off mid-cook with charcoal on the grate. I was all set on getting a Slow N Sear low profile, but now they don't make them and the SNS charcoal basket doesn't seem that far removed from Weber's included baskets. Weber seems to suggest placing each basket at opposite ends of the grill with the meat in the middle for indirect, but didn't know if that would be best for steaks? I was thinking or using just one basket of coal at one end with the meat at the other and cook at 225-250. Then fire some new coals to fill both baskets for a direct sear. This is my plan, but would love to hear some input from those that have experience with this unit.

Really looking forward to learning from you guys and possibly sharing any insight I happen upon in the future!

Thank you!!

Welcome to the group. It's a really great bunch of folks. I don't have any of your cookers but, therer are plenty of people that are more than willing to help you with any concerns you may have.

You can reverse sear a few steaks all in the upper position. Light and ash over 6-8 coals put them all they way to one side and when grill is at 225ish temp, throw 10-12 more against the side with a few touching the burning ones and throw steaks on other side. When steaks hit 80-90, light a small chimney or 1/2 to 3/4 regular chimney and when the chimney is ready and your steaks are about 115, pour the chimney in and sear. Not an exact science, but gives you a starting point.

Welcome to the forum

I've enjoyed by time here, I am sure you will too. Lots and lots of great information.

Member Baby Back Maniac has has a Youtube channel and has posted several times about his experiences using the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. It's worth the view.

Stephen, Welcome to the Brethren!!
I am sure that you are going to get some good input from some of the guys here for your questions, and any others you may have in the future. Great group of "Brothers" here.

I’ve had my summit charcoal for almost 2 months And I love it. You have the right idea. I reverse sear on the summit just like I would do on a kettle. You don’t need to use the diffuser plate, just put the charcoal grate in the top position and put the charcoal baskets to one side. Set the vents to half open or less so it doesn’t get too hot while you’re bringing the steak up to temp. When you’re ready to sear open the bottom vent all the way and completely lift the top vent open for a few minutes and those coals will be ripping hot.

Back