THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hinds15

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
BullseyeMetalWerks
Have done 2 cooks so far on the old country brazos and it cooks great for the first 2 or 3 hours then it turns into a battle. Last weekend I did some ribs and fought it the entire time. My issues were it seemed I couldn't get it to draft properly (tried turning the pit with the wind). The wood would smolder even with the door wide open (I left the firebox lid open for 5 to 8 minutes to insure good ignition). Also had temp issues but that was due to the tuning plates moved those around and had no issues with temps afterwards. Any way to tell if wood isn't seasoned enough? When I first started I was probably using to big of a split but after having issues I cut them down some more.

1st picture is splits I started with and 2nd picture is what I split those down too.

Video of the smoke not draft that great.
https://youtu.be/gnG5SwZhsls

Attachments

• 20200711_115223.jpg
    20200711_115223.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 20200711_214449.jpg
    20200711_214449.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 186
Is it possible the wood is just too green? I bought a moisture meter just so I can tell if the wood guys tell me is seasoned actually is.

my wood is split half the size of yours and hos very little water content. I run oak and maple... Oak for heat ... maple for less heat

but I think if you crack those hunks in half let em dry you will be better off

Its post oak. I'll try splitting them down some more this weekend. Wood should be seasoned got it from a reputable place.

How often do you add splits? Sounds to me like your coal bed doesn't have enough energy to get the new splits to light.

A good solution would be adding logs sooner or smaller splits that will burn up quicker and help strengthen your coal bed. You can always throw some charcoal in if your coal bed gets to small until you get the hang of it.

Keep at it and you'll have it dialed in before long

There are several potential culprits at play in your description.

Draft is direct result of heat. Less heat, less draft. More heat, more draft. You didn't mention what temps you were attempting to maintain. If trying for 225 or so, and your temp swing is allowed to dip 50 degrees prior to adding splits, you have very little draft at 175.

If you are experiencing smoldering, there could be several reasons, and any one of them can create the situation you have described, or it may be a combination.

Lack of residual coal bed to ignite newly added split
Size of splits being to large.
Wood not dry enough.
Splits laid perpendicular against air flow path on coal bed.
Ash build-up below fire grate blocking air flow.

A picture of the coal bed with "smoldering" splits will give better clues.

The second picture of the splits on top of the firebox makes me think you would benefit by splitting them again. Live flame can be achieved easier and quicker with smaller splits, assuming you have sufficient coals and adequate air flow.

Don't give up.

I'd try splitting in half. Have you tried pre heating splits on top of the fire box a few minutes before you add a piece? Is your coal bed as good at the point of the cook where you start having trouble as when you start the cook?

Wood that is green typically feels heavy for it's physical size

I cook on a Shirley 24x36 that has a larger firebox that you are using. I only use Oak and every split is about the size of the water bottle in your photo or an "Adult Beverage" can. I measure moisture content with a handheld meter and all are in the 15-17% range. Heated on the firebox before added and no problem getting them to light quickly after adding.

Here is a photo of the firebox door on my Shirley, running at 275, and you can see some of the splits on the floor. The stack was likely about 20% closed too.

Attachments

• Firebox door.jpg
    Firebox door.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Shirley Temp.jpg
    Shirley Temp.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Is 30$ to 40$ good for a quality moisture meater. I figure thats the best place to start. Also going to split the wood down more.

Yes, try splitting those logs smaller, check the coal bed for too much ash buildup make sure they are getting air underneath, make sure that the chimney is always wide opened.

A few thoughts:

Is your fire grate lifted off the bottom and is there room for air to flow underneath it?

Make sure wood is dry and maybe try smaller splits.

Make sure you start with a good bed of coals

Preheat your wood so when you add them they ignite real fast

That is all the ideas I can think of. Stick with it (pun intended) and it will all come together.

Smaller pits need smaller splits. Shorter but also less circumference, about a wrist or beer can.

Sounds like your losing the coal bed. Add splits more often for use some lump charcoal when the bed gets diminished. A good bed of coal will light the next split fast.

are you using the old country fire grate?

This was my first thought

Not getting a good coal bed from using the OC grate.

Building the fire in the bottom of the FB without any grate is better than the factory grate, curve of the FB helps keep the coal bed together.

I used the oklahoma joe charcoal basket on the old country fire grate the first cook and figured out really quick that wasn't going to work. Second cook was just the OKJ basket

The LSG small fire basket seems to be the hot ticket- set up on top of firebricks like Lynn Dollar does - I have an improvised version made by a neighbor and my splits took off and burned great all night - I just emailed LSG and the baskets will be back the week of the 27th - Crap! I should not have said that....

Back