THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SeenRed

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Red
Right after the holidays I ordered a new gravity feed pit from Southern Q Smokers. Well, it arrived a couple days ago. It's a shiny new Southern Q Limo Junior Gravity Feed Smoker - similar to the one I just sold last month to make room for this one...only bigger, with more cooking racks, and with a few more extra bells and whistles.

First off, each of the 4 cooking racks on the new pit are about twice as big as the racks in my old one - and the old one only had 3 racks...so this pit has more than double the capacity. Other upgrades include: 8" heavy duty locking swivel casters; brushed stainless handle; an added pull toggle latch to take some of the load off the commercial slam latch; a Tel-Tru thermometer in the door; and 4 D-ring tie downs.

Southern Q also carries BBQ Guru Systems, and since Scott gave me a good price, I upgraded to the new DigiQ DX3 controller. Very similar to the DX2, but they've redesigned the fan, and I assume there are some upgrades to the software in the controller as well.

I fired it up day before yesterday to season it, but haven't had the chance to cook anything in it yet. I hope to remedy that tomorrow if the weather will cooperate. I have 2 racks of spares in the fridge that will be the maiden cook. And I may throw in a chuck roast too...

More to come!

Red

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 389
Do they sell both models or just the bigger one now?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just the one model...the pit I just sold was actually a one-off, custom build that was special ordered to fit on a guy’s comp trailer, so the cabinet was a bit narrower to fit the space...hence the smaller racks. This new pit is a stock Limo Jr with a 4th rack added.

Beautiful cooker! What did the preheat time look like for the break-in? How long to get to 250ish? Insulated cabinets have had my interest for quite sometime.... [emoji848]

Congrats! I love my SouthernQ Limo Elite!

Just the one model...the pit I just sold was actually a one-off, custom build that was special ordered to fit on a guy’s comp trailer, so the cabinet was a bit narrower to fit the space...hence the smaller racks. This new pit is a stock Limo Jr with a 4th rack added.

Scott still sells both the limo Jr. and the limo Elite as gar as I know?

Beautiful cooker! What did the preheat time look like for the break-in? How long to get to 250ish? Insulated cabinets have had my interest for quite sometime.... [emoji848]

Thanks! Of course I've only fired it up once yet, but it took about 30 minutes to get to 250 once I had it buttoned up with the guru in charge.

Red

Thanks everyone! I hoped to cook ribs in it today, but had to take Mrs. Red to Urgent Care last night...she's got the flu. It'll be a few days before she'll feel like eating much. So I'll be nursing today instead of cooking.

Congrats! I love my SouthernQ Limo Elite!

Scott still sells both the limo Jr. and the limo Elite as gar as I know?

Thanks Ron...yeah he still sells both both the Limo Elite and Limo Jr. Sorry if I misled with that answer...I may have misunderstood his question. I thought he was asking if there were two sizes of Limo Jr.

Red

Thanks everyone! I hoped to cook ribs in it today, but had to take Mrs. Red to Urgent Care last night...she's got the flu. It'll be a few days before she'll feel like eating much. So I'll be nursing today instead of cooking.

Thanks Ron...yeah he still sells both both the Limo Elite and Limo Jr. Sorry if I misled with that answer...I may have misunderstood his question. I thought he was asking if there were two sizes of Limo Jr.

Red
I was asking if there were 2 jr sizes.

I was asking if there were 2 jr sizes.

Ok thought so...only one stock size of Limo Jr. He builds two stock sizes of GF pit: Limo Elite and Limo Jr. But the way I understand it, he'll take on any custom build size you want.

Back