New Smoker - Ole Hickory CTO

unixadm

Take a breath!
Well it's new to me. I found a 2007 Ole Hickory CTO with Stationary Racks and the cook/hold controller in PA a few weeks ago. The seller used to run a BBQ business and had a fleet of Ole Hickory pits, from big rotisseries to a couple CTO's.

I checked with Ole Hickory regarding the 2007 model and they said other than a few updates to the handles, firebox location, convection fan and control panel - it's pretty much the same pit as today. The seller was selling it for $2500 and Ole Hickory felt that was a fair price. Very good customer service with Ole Hickory - just need to state that.

The seller graciously palletized it for me (it was a Craigslist item, so this was very nice on his part) and worked with me on the shipping. I bid it out on uship.com and got shipping arranged from PA to CA for $399 with full value insurance. So I'm all in for $2,900 and I cannot find these in CA.

This past Wednesday I went to the terminal to pick it up and was happy when I got it home to find no damage. I got it reassembled, cleaned up and fired up. Over the past few days I've added a new LPG regulator setup, built my own $10 "Comp Switch", adjusted the burner and got it seasoned again. The seller took absolutely amazing care of this CTO. The inside looked new when I got it. Not a speck of gunk on the racks, the aluminum and stainless was shiny and other than a few dings here and there on the outside, it's in near perfect (but used) condition.

I plan on cooking on it tomorrow for the first time. I'm running it for the third time today to get used to the pit. I use gas for less than five minutes to get it fired up and then I hit the comp switch to turn off the gas. The draft fan will run as required to stoke the fire/coals. Works great. One thing to note is how even the temperatures are in this pit. I put my ET-733 probes on the top and bottom shelf and at 250 degrees, they are off by TWO degrees. I read about a hot spot on the top rack, so I put the probes towards the back on the left and right and they are reading ONE degree apart. The convection fan blade design is different than the original - maybe that has helped with the airflow to even out the temps. Absolutely amazing how even the temps are in this thing.

I ordered the Comp Basket and updated handles from Kevin at OHP this week, so I'll get those installed next week. It's like Christmas around here with smokers.

The smoke is thick because I'm using Stubb's Briquettes and the cooker is just coming up to temp.

20140910_111319.jpg

20140913_092507.jpg

20140913_092516.jpg

20140913_092532.jpg

20140913_092543.jpg

20140913_092612.jpg

I'm also working on my other new smoker which is a 2009 Southern Pride SP-1000 on the factory tandem trailer. This thing is a beast and purrs like a kitten.

20140906_121757.jpg

they look great. why the old hickory cto? you have owned about every smoker on the market. I heard that the cto doesn't get that high a temp and can only burn for around 6 hours. what has been your burn times buddy?

I went with the CTO because it's NSF compliant, convection and I didn't want to use pellets due to the flavor profile differences between the Southern Pride and say an FEC-120. The CTO was cheaper for me (used), can use the same gas system as the Southern Pride and once I get it tuned, it should produce a similar smoke profile. The CTO will run 325-350 degrees, plenty for smoking or hot and fast cooking. I rarely grill and still have that equipment on my patio.

With the comp basket, it should run for 7-10 hours. It seems to be pretty efficient, especially if you don't use gas. However, gas will extend the cook time to whatever you need provided you have a full bottle or a NG connection with the correct orifice.

The Southern Pride thus far is easier for me to run. It burns full splits and put out as close to stick burner tasting BBQ as I've had. I'm installing the competition switch on it tomorrow. Both of these units will stoke the fire, much like a DigiQ or Stoker when you disable the gas system. Makes it easy to maintain temps without gas. Throw in a split now and then on the Southern Pride, and add more charcoal in the CTO. I may add a ball valve to the CTO's firebox door, so that I can get a bit more oxygen to the fire.

Very nice! That CTO does look brand new and that SP is humongous. I know those pits will serve you well and turn out some good Q. Congrats!

I would like to hear a little more about the new fan blades, sound like something I need to check into.

Very nice! That CTO does look brand new and that SP is humongous. I know those pits will serve you well and turn out some good Q. Congrats!

I would like to hear a little more about the new fan blades, sound like something I need to check into.

I took a picture of the different fan blades. The bottom I believe is the original style and the top is a newer style. I have also heard they have a steel fan blade instead of aluminum. My CTO has the top fan blade installed and like I said, the temperatures within the chamber are very even.

20140914_085850.jpg

The bottom blade is the original blade that is on my CTO. Did the new style blade come from Ole Hickory?

I don't now. I received four fan blades with the CTO. Two were new (one used old style, one new old style and one new style). Based on how they're built, I would say they came from Ole Hickory or the same supplier.

Back