New Rules for American Royal Invitational Qualification

Actually it's $500 to become a triple crown event which includes a bunch of stuff (advertising etc) for the organizer/promoter from what I've been told.

I think that this was all set up way back when AZBBQ was started by someone who thought ahead and figured the proclamation was a priority. I wasn't around then but that's what I gathered. BBQ started to become big business, $300-$400 per team with 50+ teams, that's alot of $$$$.

With all that being said it just makes business sense that it'd be set up so it would be harder for someone to just decide that they now want to waltz in and take over all the events in AZ taking (stealing?) all the work that was put in prior to now building it up, making them go get their own proclamation (if they could or would bother).
Kind of like a patent or protecting your "region" I'd think.
Guess it's like I've been told over and over, "it's just business" pretty sad it had to be done to begin with.

I understand wanting to protect ones business interest but using a Governor's Proclamation for personal business use is not allowed by the State of Arizona per the rules for request and designed for non-profit organizations. Here is a copy of the terms:

Proclamations are issued for Arizona residents or approved non-profit organizations with preferably statewide, but at least regional interest. . • Proclamations will not name specific organizations unless they are non - profit.

I understand wanting to protect ones business interest but using a Governor's Proclamation for personal business use is not allowed by the State of Arizona per the rules for request and designed for non-profit organizations. Here is a copy of the terms:

Proclamations are issued for Arizona residents or approved non-profit organizations with preferably statewide, but at least regional interest. . • Proclamations will not name specific organizations unless they are non - profit.
Well, first off KCBS and IBCA fit the requirements and I "think" AZBBQ triple crown does as well.

Second, all this other stuff like BCS didn't exist back when this was created so from my understanding of the proclamation BCS can't be a qualifier either.

Third, at this point it was signed and filed as written and nobody's complained until now so I'm guessing there'd be little sympathy from the Gov. office.

Maybe the new "grand canyon BBQ" organization can apply for a new proclamation or another promoter could?
It'll take a while though, if it's even accepted and until then I'd guess it is what it is.

There are 14 Arizona contests that have been completed or are on the KCBS calendar since December 2010 that are not Triple Crown events and yet all of them are listed as State Championships. That couldn't happen unless there is a proclamation that covers each of those events.

Just because the Arizona Governor's office may have stated that it does not intend to issue additional proclamations does not mean that it has not already issued proclamations to one or more Arizona promoters.

There are 14 Arizona contests that have been completed or are on the KCBS calendar since December 2010 that are not Triple Crown events and yet all of them are listed as State Championships. That couldn't happen unless there is a proclamation that covers each of those events.

Just because the Arizona Governor's office may have stated that it does not intend to issue additional proclamations does not mean that it has not already issued proclamations to one or more Arizona promoters.
Quite true it "could have" but then one would figure it'd have to be posted and available like the original one wouldn't you think? I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I don't believe a promoter has to physically provide the proclamation to register an event and since we all know promoters are all the most honest of people :roll: I'd guess KCBS doesn't require a physical copy be presented and I'd also bet that they're not highly scrutinized even if one was unless it's brought to their attention (like now I'd bet).
One other thing that makes me think KCBS can call it what it wishes without it meaning "jack" (pun intended) to the Jack or the Royal is this new rule by the Royal that hard copy proof is now required to qualify.

In my mind if someone says they've got a proclamation that covers them and it then turns out they don't it would be a real rotten way of scamming the teams.

So I guess what I'd say is if a promoter is claiming they've got a proclamation maybe you might want to ask to see it before ya pay to enter if a draw is what you're shooting for, or maybe they should all post it up to remove all doubt?
If there's one thing I've gotten a real hard lesson in lately is if it isn't in writing in front of you it doesn't exist.:thumb:

I just got off the phone with Trista at Govenor Jan Brewer's office.Trista is with the office of, constituant services and they are the ones who handle ALL Govenors proclamations.Trista did an in-depth search with the Govenors office as well as the Secratary of States office and stated there are NO proclamations issued by Gov. Jan Brewer,she has NEVER done one.The last proclamation issued was by then Govenor Janet Napolitano and that was to Mike and AZBarbeque in 2007.Any promoter,other than Mike claiming they have a proclamation is an outright fraud,(her words)and that is direct from the Govenors office.The number to verify this is : 602-542-4331 and use menue to select the,office of constituant services, and they will again verify this.Teams,just be aware that because someone calls a contest a "State Championship" and even if it says it at KCBS,this doesn't make it so.

Last edited:

Turns out it can. In the interest of full disclosure, From the KCBS sanction form I found online:

Do you have a State Championship Proclamation from your Governor? ___ YES ___ NO
If yes, we would appreciate a copy with this form. (IA, IL, CO and AZ states do not need to submit this.)
I'm guessing because they figured they already had it but haven't actually READ it.

With all that being said it just makes business sense that it'd be set up so it would be harder for someone to just decide that they now want to waltz in and take over all the events in AZ taking (stealing?) all the work that was put in prior to now building it up, making them go get their own proclamation (if they could or would bother).
Kind of like a patent or protecting your "region" I'd think.
Guess it's like I've been told over and over, "it's just business" pretty sad it had to be done to begin with.

So you're saying that there should only be one person per state putting on events and that new promoters are "waltzing in" and "stealing" because they are using what was being touted as a blanket proclamation?

I'm sure the AR has their reasons and they seem the be working with people who have qualified but I hope that those that have qualified do in fact have that proclamation in hand and aren't surprised to find it doesn't exist. We'll be starting to look at states and proclamations before traveling now!

I am not really sure what you AZ brothers and sisters have going on out there, but I think it is clear cut example of why KCBS needs to stay away from the state proclamation boondoggle

So you're saying that there should only be one person per state putting on events and that new promoters are "waltzing in" and "stealing" because they are using what was being touted as a blanket proclamation?

I'm sure the AR has their reasons and they seem the be working with people who have qualified but I hope that those that have qualified do in fact have that proclamation in hand and aren't surprised to find it doesn't exist. We'll be starting to look at states and proclamations before traveling now!

No I'm not saying that there should be only one. If someone else can get one then more power to 'em, and on top of that if they're running a competition here that they expect people to qualify for the Jack or Royal they absolutely should!

All I said was it made sense that it was done that way from purely a business standpoint. Heck, drug companies and other business do it all the time. Kind of like locking up a territory right?
As for it being touted as a "blanket proclamation", I've never heard the person who filed the proclamation say that, quite the contrary actually. Now I have heard others claim they had a blanket proclamation but I guess not?

Proclamation Solution?

I've been thinking of an easy way to put this all to bed once and for all, since KCBS has to have all the proclamations to make these events state championships and since all those events are listed on the KCBS website wouldn't it make sense for KCBS to take a little bit of time and make PDF copies of said proclamations and either put them in a central location on their website or attach 'em when an event is listed? Something like xxxx state championship <pdf of proclamation>.

This would help the teams as nobody would have to worry about if the promoter has one on him (or if one exists), when they win just go to the KCBS website and print it out for the AR/Jack application.
It wouldn't take much time to set up, especially if all they did was create a "Proclamation" folder with all the scans inside for a team to choose from. This would also allow a review of said proclamations to make sure they have what they think they do.
Just a thought...

In the interest of honesty and full disclosure
Well, great news for AZ. Evidently according to the Secretary of States office there's a blanket proclamation for AZ open to any BBQ event.:clap2::clap2:

Now it's know for sure, positively iron clad that anyone can run a comp here!
Good deal!:clap:

Back