THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
The Rec Tec finally arrived just before the long weekend. I got her assembled and ready to go, and did an initial burn in and then smoked a pound of bacon just because the cooker was hot and ready for something to smoke.

Here is the cooker post bacon:

Then Sunday I decided to do some baby backs. I had to be up and out of the house early, so I slathered on some yellow mustard and hit two racks with some Simply Marvelous Pecan Rub accented by some of my own homestyle rub. I started the cooker before I left and told my wife to throw in the ribs around 8:30. Here they are just after going on:

Smoked the ribs on the Rec Tec at 250F until I got home around 12:30. I wasn't sure how long they would take so I tried the bend test and realized they still had a ways to go:

Let 'em cruise for another hour or so, and ramped the heat up to 275F. Cooker works like a dream -- temp quicky rose, and the computer started easing off the throttle before it got to 275F so it didn't overshoot the mark very far.

Hit the racks with some original Sweet Baby Rays. One plain, the other I mixed in some seedless rasperry jam and some Louisiana hot sauce just for fun. (The sauce had a bit of a kick when I was brushing it on . . . but for some reason when we ate the ribs the sauce had totally mellowed out and tasted about the same as the straight Sweet Baby Rays). Here's what the first rack looked like - no foiling:

Family loved the ribs, and my wife (who doesn't like a strong smoke flavor) said they were the best she's had in a long time. As I was walking back into the kitchen with the second rack I heard my 6-year-old daughter say (after sampling one): "These are the best I've ever had. Dad just went up a level!" We got some good laughs after that one (as an aside, she had previously told me that she didn't like the new cooker because the red made it look "too Tuscan" -- we don't know where she comes up with half of what she says!)

Here's my chief rib tester trying out one of the ones with the spicy sauce:

The kids sure put 'em away. Great cook on my new toy! Looking forward to many more.

Thanks guys.

Anyone ever experience that with spicy sauces that seem to mellow as they cook?
Great looking ribs and congratulations on the Rec-Tec! I've had mine almost a month now, cooked on it probably over a dozen times already and it has been fantastic.

So, interesting you commented about the sauce .... I cooked up a batch of Meathead's KC sauce for the first time this weekend and the wife thought it was too spicy out of the pan, but after being cooked on she loved it. Go figure .... although if the zing you're getting pre-cook is vinegar it makes perfect sense that would cook out some.

... if the zing you're getting pre-cook is vinegar it makes perfect sense that would cook out some.

Out of the pan, the kick I was referencing was definitely from the Louisiana hot pepper sauce. It was pretty spicy. But once the sauce was on the ribs and they spent 30 minutes or so on the smoker for it to set, the end result was much more mellow. My wife (who doesn't like spicy) said they were just about the same as the ones without the hot sauce. Interesting phenomenon!

Out of the pan, the kick I was referencing was definitely from the Louisiana hot pepper sauce. It was pretty spicy. But once the sauce was on the ribs and they spent 30 minutes or so on the smoker for it to set, the end result was much more mellow. My wife (who doesn't like spicy) said they were just about the same as the ones without the hot sauce. Interesting phenomenon!

I get this all the time, I have my own sauce that is spicy on its own, but when glazed on the ribs, nothing, cooked off. I find adding spice to the rub is the best way to keep some heat on them.

Same with ABT's. Cook the bacon on the outside and not the jap inside -
spicy.
Slow roll the japs and it brings sugars out of them - tasty.

Same with ABT's. Cook the bacon on the outside and not the jap inside -
spicy.
Slow roll the japs and it brings sugars out of them - tasty.

I never knew about this effect. Interesting - maybe one day some science-minded person will explain the "why" to me.

Back