New guy from the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

clayking

New to the site but not entirely new to cooking on the grill.

My hobbies are sporting clays, hence my name, pistols, archery, inshore salt water fishing, Texas hold-em, cooking, and the stock market (retired investment portfolio manager).

Though I've grilled over charcoal for many a year, it has mostly been confined to BBQ chicken, fish, veggies, burgers, & steaks. I've used a Charbroil since 1990 like the Sante Fe, but the one a step above in quality, which seems to be hard to find these days. Anyway, the bailing wire, new homemade handle (I burned the original one by cracking open the door once and the flames came out & toasted it to well-done) and other fixes has it still in use. One wheel keeps falling off, the side plates have been replaced and there are a few rusted out holes here and there. But she still cooks, but time for a replacement.

I have a new Webber Gas Grill, which I now use for the quick chicken/burger/steak stuff, but want to get more into q'ing. So far I've done ribs three times on the charbroil. First time they were great. Second time, not so great, in fact, not even good. Third time, good, but not like the first time. In fact, I felt like I did the same thing each time, the results were vastly different, The third time I used lump coal and hardwood chunks rather than chips on the first two. I did not wrap any of the times and now see that is a good thing, and too much smoke ain't all good.

Ok, I'm going on and on. I ordered four BBQ books, which seemed to be the favorites on this site, but first order of biz is to get a new grill and wonder given my thoughts what might be good suggestions. I used to have a chimmey style smoker which I did quite a few turkeys on, but it finally gave up the ghost and I never replaced it.

Ok, the question. This grill, I think I will dedicate only to bbq, so no need for grilling the burgers, steaks etc. This will be for ribs, briskets, and such. Low and slow. Secondly, I would prefer to keep it under 500-600 bucks and something that's easy to keep up but moveable would be a good thing due to my space. I'm not making one. The back of my house is completely screened in from side to side which then goes out to screen in a pool. I usually move the grill to the area where I goes up to a high ceiling where the pool starts. If the smoke screws up the screen , so be it, hasn't yet. Beside the next hurricane will make me replace the screens anyway....yea, I live in Florida. I will usually cook enough for two, but big enough for at least 4-6 should be the min. One food at a time. I see myself cooking q once a week at most, no competition at all, I just want good food. I also cook indoors so no specialization for me, food on the grill is so much better than food inside. So any suggestion of items on the market, either at the mega-marts or on-line.

By the way, great site and I've learned a lot just in a few days. Who ever thought the smoke was best when blue and there is such a thing as too much smoke.....................................ck

Welcome, Clay!

You have another namesake that I work with in Murrells Inlet, SC.

Oh, yeah. Get yourself a Weber Smoky Mountain!

Last edited:
Sounds like you're looking for a WSM (weber smoky mountain). They make 2 sizes depending on your needs, and even the bigger one is under your budget. A lot of people here use them and love them.

Welcome fellow Floridian, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Welcome, Clay!

You have another namesake that I work with in Murrells Inlet, SC.

Oh, yeah. Get yourself a Weber Smoky Mountain!

Used the name ever since AOL when a fellow shooter called me that after winning a club tournament.

"Sounds like you're looking for a WSM (weber smoky mountain). They make 2 sizes depending on your needs, and even the bigger one is under your budget. A lot of people here use them and love them. Today 04:20 AM

Yea, I think I've just about come to the WSM decision. Since I used a similar smoker many years ago.

Yea, Bluetang, I'm just your "northern" neighbor. Send me a smoke signal:becky:...........................ck

I'd go with a Kamado even though they're higher in price. they are made of ceramic and will last almost forever. I have a clay kamado I brought back from Japan 42 years ago and it still cooks up a storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back