THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It is the nuances that makes it not so simple IMO. Having competed in several SCA events now I continue to iterate on my process and even then second guess myself all the time.

I have no desire to get into competition barbecue or grilling ............ but competition breeds innovation.

And I pay attention to the comps because I might learn something new that would help me in the backyard.

Nah, I don't believe it is Ego or anything like that. More than anything people probably see it as a guy cashing in on his good name to sell some more books and make more $$$. Which of course, I have no problem with it and if I were in his shoes, I would do the same thing. At times success turns others off.

I don't think " cashing in " is part of AF. If he really wanted to " cash in " he would expand his barbecue joint, or most likely, sell his name out to a chain.

His back story doesn't lend to him being ultra greedy.

Now the guy who partnered with him on the book ......... IDK a thing about him.

Has nothing to do with greed or being a good/bad guy. He is a celebrity at the peak of his popularity so he owes it to himself and his family to make the most of it. Trust me, he has agents that are bringing opportunities to him all the time. To his credit,he seems to pick his spots and is smart about managing his brand. Somebody will come along in a few years who will pass him up and he will go back into the shadows. Still well respected, just not the hot "it" guy. Until that happens, cash in while people will still jump all over what you put out there and write another book. And besides, he seems to be really good at it. His brisket book is one of the best, if not THE best BBQ book I have read. I am sure this steak book will be a winner too.

You must have missed the part where I said "if I was him, I would do the same thing", or that I plan on buying he book, or that I think he will do a really good job with the subject.

What all the hate on the book or those that bought it? I read it the other day and thought it was good. I learned a few things with meat suppliers, finishing, etc. Good read and good compliment to the smoking manifesto IMO.

Jealousy...

The Franklin Steak book is not a "how to" cookbook. It covers all aspects of grillable cow parts. I have read half way through so far and have gained considerable new insight into the beef industry and what constitutes a good steak. Arron Franklin has researched the subject of beef steak thoroughly and demonstrated his ability to convey the information in an formative and entertaining manner. I am not an authority on all things as some here present themselves. I have a lot to learn and for me, Arron's book is money well spent, whatever his motivation for authoring it may be.
I like books, especially those that are informative and well written. Who is going to write the "BBQ in other countries" book? How are grilling and BBQ techniques different in South America? There are so many aspects of our passion that deserve further insight.

my book isn't here yet but the bbq book was great. to me his book read more like a conversation and was very enjoyable. I imagine the steak book will be similar. Would you like to have a conversation with AF about bbq or steak? unless you're really lucky or have an inside track these books are as close as you're going to get and are easily worth $20 IMHO. If you know everything you want to about grilling steak or bbq then pass on it. Yes grilling steak is simple but many of us enjoy digging very deep into a simple process. Its not about the recipe, its about knowing whats happening, why it's happening, and every minor detail that created the perfect steak on your plate.

^^^As to the South America question, Francis Mallman, an Argentinian chef, has a great book called "7 Fires". It's pretty fantastic.

I made a batch of the "salsa verde" from Franklin's book and I either goofed it up or it asks for way too much parsley. The chimichurri from Mallman is awesome though.

^^^yeah, that chimichurri is my go to - fanfarkingtastic - I do cut down on the garlic though. First time I made it, it was too garlicky for me so I went about half a head & it's right how I like it.

The brisket beans recipe in AF's other book is really good IMO, but I put in a lot more brisket than he calls for. I make 'em all the time & love 'em.

Looking forward to checking out what he has to say about steaks. It's always fun to get new insights. And eat them.

Ive finished most of it. It's a lot of good information, particularly for someone who hasn't spent a ton of time reading/researching/cooking beef, but still loves steaks. I feel kinda vindicated because a lot of what he said is what ive been doing for awhile. :D

Not as impactful as his other book, though. He's right about the kamados, though. I love my egg, but it's a much bigger pain in the ass when you're reverse searing something compared to my kettle. It takes extra steps and time to get those 2 different temperatures.

When we reverse-sear on an egg, we keep a "spider" inserted just above the lump and holding a cooking grid. On top of this grid is placed a pizza stone to act as an indirect barrier. The steaks are slow-cooked on another cooking grate which is placed well above the felt line, far enough from the lump that a gentle heat cooks the meat to desired doneness.

When ready for the sear, the pizza stone is removed and the steaks are placed on the lower cooking grid, immediately above the lump, which produces much "instant" heat. Getting the cooker ready for searing takes less than a minute and requires no time spent waiting for an increase in the cooker's temperature.

Kind of a 'poor man's' Santa-Maria effect for lowering the meat to the coals.

When we reverse-sear on an egg, we keep a "spider" inserted just above the lump and holding a cooking grid. On top of this grid is placed a pizza stone to act as an indirect barrier. The steaks are slow-cooked on another cooking grate which is placed well above the felt line, far enough from the lump that a gentle heat cooks the meat to desired doneness.

When ready for the sear, the pizza stone is removed and the steaks are placed on the lower cooking grid, immediately above the lump, which produces much "instant" heat. Getting the cooker ready for searing takes less than a minute and requires no time spent waiting for an increase in the cooker's temperature.

Kind of a 'poor man's' Santa-Maria effect for lowering the meat to the coals.

i usually pull a few degrees under temp, tent it, remove the plate setter and hit the coals with a torch to speed it up. still more work than flipping it directly over the basket in my kettle, though.

Just received my copy of Franklin Steak. I enjoy his writing style as I did in his BBQ Manifesto. I figure I am not to old to learn something new and definitely not to old to be entertained by a good book.

Back