THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
John
It has been far too long since I have had the opportunity to post or even visit the fine folks here, so in retribution I will post for your (pick one)

a. Amusement
b. Dismay
c. Boredom
d. Interest
e. Pleasure

The following collection of recent events at Casa De SirPorkalot......

So this happened:

IMG_3702.JPG

and because of that happening, I decided I MUST have some company to join us (my wife & I) on our adventures.

So that is when I decided it was time for a new baby!

:clap2:

No no no...... NOT that kind of baby.

:doh:

:shock:

:crazy:

THIS kind of baby.

IMG_3722.JPG

a baby WSM!!

isn't she a beaut?

IMG_3724.JPG

Of course she is waayyy too shiny...

So I figured it would be best to season her up a bit.

I can't think of a better way to a season her that with a 10.5lb pork whole picnic.

First it gets salted.
IMG_3736.JPG

and salted some more

IMG_3737.JPG

Load up the basket with briquettes and cherry.
IMG_3741.JPG

This is what a 10.5lb whole picnic looks like on the middle rack.

IMG_3753.JPG

Note Picnic is skin side up and skin is splitting where scored. This is what you want.

IMG_3760.JPG

Here is a shot after it was flipped (shortly before removing from smoker)

IMG_3761.JPG

Here it is after a 8 hour rest in foil.

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

Where I come from; BBQ is Pork and is always chopped, not pulled.
IMG_3777.JPG

I enjoy pork sliders on a Kings Hawaiian roll the best.

IMG_3781.JPG

^^ That was how I seasoned the baby WSM.

Here is how she was put to work on our first camping trip this past weekend.

In this first shot I have set her up to direct cook and have 2 steaks cooking for dinner.

IMG_3787.JPG

The next morning, I set her up with a full water pan, pecan wood and half a turkey breast. I dialed her into to abut 210F and we left her to smoke while we went exploring.

We returned after a 5 mile walk/hike and it was time to glaze the turkey.

IMG_3800.JPG

a short while after, it was time to let it rest.

IMG_3807.JPG

While it was resting, I decided to utilize the remaining heat in the WSM and I tossed on some fresh baked Jalapeno Focaccia bread with some butter on top to toast up a bit.

IMG_3803.JPG

Now its Monday, I just finished up the last of the BBQ pork for lunch, the steak, turkey and flat bread are long gone, as is most of my hangover!

:-D

Last edited:
Thinking how to do that with my 22 in my RV. Might just get a 14, that's really all you need when camping.
Nice cook :thumb:

Yea I was already set to buy a 22 WSM and a hitch rack to carry it, but in the end I decided to go with the 14 for portability.

There is only 2 of us camping and the 14 will put way more food than we will ever eat in a weekend.

I was real happy with how it performed too. :thumb:

Yea I was already set to buy a 22 WSM and a hitch rack to carry it, but in the end I decided to go with the 14 for portability.

There is only 2 of us camping and the 14 will put way more food than we will ever eat in a weekend.

I was real happy with how it performed too. :thumb:
I have cooked enough on my mini to agree. Perfect size for a few people and versatile to grill and smoke.

Didn't take you long to get the hang of that cooker. Food looks great!

Looks like you guys are going to have fun with that camper and the new "baby".

Back