Never done comp style ribs so it was time

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Had thawed 2 slabs of baby back ribs and wanted to try a comp recipe on one as I've never done that before. The other slab would be our preferred dry ribs. Used Oakridge Comp on both and added some Oakridge Crucible Ghost to the dry rib.

After 2 hours, I foiled the comp slab with some butter, brown sugar and some stubs spicy sauce. Let them cook in foil for about 1,5 hour, took them out, coated them with some sauce and let it set. The dry ribs were done about 15-20 mins later.

Comp style ribs came out pretty good although they probed like butter, they could have been a bit more tender. Taste was pretty good for a 1st try. The dry rub ribs were spot on and tasted great. And were a reminder why we prefer them.

c47359a1ba144b7c0c6291a2d1a1f780.jpg

39c9e04808c08c11d5966c7ea3225f78.jpg

8f6dde79e1d2ba05d0bae58ee548933e.jpg

e36b85cc599bc37bc3c857cb0a9787b1.jpg

4f9b818a372aa34d3841c3ff3669f44b.jpg

532d76eed4b1c352a35f2120c6f2d2f4.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Nice. My Bride prefers the “pretty ribs”. I prefer the dry. We both enjoy twice cooked pretty leftovers. Something about the dry texture and leftovers later glazed over coals

Those bones look perfect either way.

Nice. My Bride prefers the “pretty ribs”. I prefer the dry. We both enjoy twice cooked pretty leftovers. Something about the dry texture and leftovers later glazed over coals

Thanks, the comp-style were good but I could tell that there was room for improvement. So I guess I will have to do another run soon. :wacko:

my basic ribs method is sort of comp lite.

2 hrs hanging in the drum, around half hour wrapped in kosmos competition bbq sauce, about another half hour unwrapped but boated in the foil pack.

ribs are done in about 3.5 hrs. the flavors are not as overwhelming as regular comp ribs

I'm new, so forgive me if this is a dumb question...but what exactly do you mean by "competition style" ribs? How are they different from the "backyard style"?

I'm new, so forgive me if this is a dumb question...but what exactly do you mean by "competition style" ribs? How are they different from the "backyard style"?

comp style ribs are typically smoked until a desired color then wrapped in a mixture, most famously; brown sugar honey and butter/margarine for period of time and then finished unwrapped and sauced. they tend to be trimmed to st Louis cut, but are sometimes babyback. competition bbq is focused on intense flavors and presentation in an effort to wow a judge in one bite.

my basic ribs method is sort of comp lite.

2 hrs hanging in the drum, around half hour wrapped in kosmos competition bbq sauce, about another half hour unwrapped but boated in the foil pack.

ribs are done in about 3.5 hrs. the flavors are not as overwhelming as regular comp ribs

What temps are you running?

I was running the Yoder at 240F but was using top grate and that's usually about 15F lower in temp.

Well they look Tasty, what temp did you cook at?

See above, probably about 225F.

Thanks for all the comments

What temps are you running?

I was running the Yoder at 240F but was using top grate and that's usually about 15F lower in temp.

See above, probably about 225F.

Thanks for all the comments

I dont monitor temps much but a touch north of 275, maybe as high as 300. hanging the ribs keeps the broadside of the meat from the direct heat so they dont get beat

my timeline was closer to 4 hrs in my other drum not hanging

I couldn’t agree with you both more.

Back