Need some help getting ready for another go.

The thighs don't look all that bad, but the arrangement in the box leaves a lot to be desired. I would suggest trimming the thighs a bit more to make them more even in size, and arrange them so that they all can be seen (don't have two different elevations of thighs in the box). Just my humble opinion.

The thighs don't look all that bad, but the arrangement in the box leaves a lot to be desired. I would suggest trimming the thighs a bit more to make them more even in size, and arrange them so that they all can be seen (don't have two different elevations of thighs in the box). Just my humble opinion.

Ok thanks for the advice.

Also thank you to everyone else too for your time and help.
I decided to try something else sauce and rub wise for now. I am trying to create my own rub and sauce that can work in competition but I think I am years away from that working so I am going to make the switch to commercial sauce and rub for now until I gain the experience I need to know what I am looking for. We have been talking about getting certified as judges so we can get a better idea of what judges want. We might just put a little money that way and do that. Hopefully next time out we can do better.

Did you like what you turned in? Food is judged on 3 things. During practice you should be thinking what can I do to get those things perfect.

For the chicken. It needs to be uniform, start buy buying organic air cooled thighs and have the butcher pick 16 of the closest shapes. I trim them and put 6 and 6 together that are roughly the same shape.

Buy the rubs that are winning, no point in trying to make your own and figure out if it is liked or not.

I know some people will hate me for this but try to clean up the edges of parsley. I know its not supposed to be judged but it adds to the overall appearance of the box.

Taking a class would be huge, Kosmos dvd class can be purchased used for like 250$ and it would really help you.

The biggest advice I can give is to listen to this guy! Tom was instrumental in our teams ability to adjust and be successful; he gave us a tremendous amount of advice last season that has helped us to get where we are now.

Also, check your PM box...I sent you a message with a few other comments.

Lastly, don't beat yourself up too much! It takes time, and a lot of practice, but you're one step ahead of most because you're willing to ask for advice :grin:.

Just signed myself up for A cooking class with 3eyez bbq this Saturday in Lancaster pa go figure the class covers ribs and chicken. So talk about perfect timing. Plus for 100 bucks you can't beat that. Hope it is worth it.

Just signed myself up for A cooking class with 3eyez bbq this Saturday in Lancaster pa go figure the class covers ribs and chicken. So talk about perfect timing. Plus for 100 bucks you can't beat that. Hope it is worth it.
Going to be amazing, Dan has been winning for years. Let us know how it went, I wish I could take it.

Going to be amazing, Dan has been winning for years. Let us know how it went, I wish I could take it.

That's good hopefully I can learn a lot. I really don't know a whole lot about them. I have heard the team name and well it's not too far I should be able to make the trip in a day. A class on chicken and ribs should help as that is where we are focused.

That's good hopefully I can learn a lot. I really don't know a whole lot about them. I have heard the team name and well it's not too far I should be able to make the trip in a day. A class on chicken and ribs should help as that is where we are focused.

Dan/Chris aka 3-Eyz were the KCBS Team of the Year in 2012 (for a point of reference, there were 6,296 teams who competed that year)... they were #5 in Chicken, #2 in Ribs

For $100 this is an incredible deal, as people frequently pay 5x that amount for their full comp class (and based on their reviews, consider that to be a steal for the quality of the info they receive)

That is a steal, and you will learn a lot. With any luck, you'll make that $100 back in no time!

Get Dan to drink a few shots of Patron before the class starts...you might get a few extra secrets out of him.

Chicken looks dry. When did you apply the sauce? Chicken covered with gooey sticky sauce is a problem too, but yours looks dried out. You need a happy medium. Sometimes applying a water spritz from a spray bottle before you turn it in will help.

I would cut the parsley shorter so it sits lower in the box.

Chicken looks dry. When did you apply the sauce? Chicken covered with gooey sticky sauce is a problem too, but yours looks dried out. You need a happy medium. Sometimes applying a water spritz from a spray bottle before you turn it in will help.

I would cut the parsley shorter so it sits lower in the box.

I applied sauce about 5 minutes before removing the chicken. Ok I will spritz them next time. Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the same class and really looking forward to it!

$100?!!! Steal of a bargain! Around here they're almost always $750.

Not a judge but my .02

If you had different sized pieces of chicken place the smallest in the front then the medium sized ones then the largest in the back. Angle them a touch so that one sort of hides the size of the next. It would also look more uniform. They sunk in to the parsley and it would be nicer to see them not so hidden. that said, i would have loved to grab one and bite into it. looks good.

Those meatballs reminded me of a box of golfballs. (a box that wasn't square, sorry) I would have spaced them so that you had a symetrical appearance.

Not having built a box before, is it that hard to get the meat to sit on top of the bed of parsley? it seems to me that meat sitting on top would look like a trophy on top of a platform rather than something hiding in the grass.

if i could take a BBQ class from someone good for $100 I'd be all over it. Where I am, there is nothing. I think the closest competition I have found was either in PA about 3-4 hours east, or in Cincinatti which is 5-6 hours south. At that point I may as well drive to Chicago if they have something.

I would eat that chicken in a heartbeat. I don't like gloppy sauce.
I like it just the way you made it.
I would SCORE it low - 4-6's (not 3???)
just because it's not uniform.
Meatballs look not uniform in color, but I don't know the criteria on judging 'balls.
Have fun at the class - sounds awesome!

I'm having a hard time finding a listing for it, but I don't think it is a competition class.

Here is the listing. I posted it, so some folks might not be used to seeing it listed this way.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188070

Not that I am a member of the 3-Eyz team, but I help out when I can and they let me. Again, I am the guy that can't see to keep notes from ANY class I go to. :wacko:

But, I can say, you will be pleased with the info you get.

Make sure to bring your own note pad to take notes, and if I am not mistaken, they allow pictures, but no video.

Starts at 10:00am this Saturday and I am sure it will be a full 5 hours worth of info, if not more.

wallace

Back