Need some advice regarding transporting a smoker

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Good weekend to all! Here is my dilemma:

The smoker pictured with my name is my new T design 24" smoker. It weighs approx 850lbs. You can see by the photo it's on casters but not welded to them. I plan to do some local competitions upcoming this fall and am seeking advice on what some of you might think is the safest, practical means to move it. Because of the weight and wheels I am contemplating simply mounting it to a trailer BUT I do enjoy the option of wheeling it into my garage. I have a full size truck along with a 6x12 cargo trailer. Suggestions have been to wheel it up in the cargo tlr and tie it down. Easier said than done since I've got to assume I'll be by myself most times leaving home. I'm not even sure the ramp/door would support the weight. Another suggestion was a modified lift for the truck. Anyway I'm just interested in some ideas, trial and error type stuff that some may have experienced. Appreciate any ideas.

get the 4'x6' 1200 lbs capcity bolt together trailer from Northern Tool- $250 ish. may still fit in garage? if not get a single car aluminum carport for it....

Lay some 2x2x1/8 sq. tubing on top of the bottom chord of your garage trusses (span 3 ea. trusses) and lift it with a chain hoist. Drive your trailer under it and let it down. Strap it to the trailer and go. Either that or mount it to the trailer permanently and move the trailer in the garage, when not in use.

By cargo trailer I'm assuming you mean enclosed with a rear ramp. If that is correct, I would get a cheap winch something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365241_200365241
mounted in the trailer and connected to the cooker at the lowest structural member near the top of the casters. I have one for loading rolling stuff on my equipment flatbed, works great. With the remote control you can just walk along with it to steady the cooker. The winch works in both directions so you can load or unload. One concern, I'm guessing that at many comp venues you won't have pavement and your casters might not work on grass or soft soil.

By cargo trailer I'm assuming you mean enclosed with a rear ramp. If that is correct, I would get a cheap winch something like this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200365241_200365241
mounted in the trailer and connected to the cooker at the lowest structural member near the top of the casters. I have one for loading rolling stuff on my equipment flatbed, works great. With the remote control you can just walk along with it to steady the cooker. The winch works in both directions so you can load or unload. One concern, I'm guessing that at many comp venues you won't have pavement and your casters might not work on grass or soft soil.

Future son in law suggested the winch idea this morning. It is an enclosed with rear ramp. Will check the weight capacity of the ramp. Good point about the casters. That would be a killer if I arrive at a site and can't move the smoker lol.

Future son in law suggested the winch idea this morning. It is an enclosed with rear ramp. Will check the weight capacity of the ramp. Good point about the casters. That would be a killer if I arrive at a site and can't move the smoker lol.

I doubt you will need it but you could always stiffen the ramp by bolting some angle iron to the outside (bottom when it is open), a few 2" angle iron would be more than enough stiffen a plywood ramp to carry 1000 pounds.

As heavy and potentially awkward as that smoker is, in regards to maneuvering, I would go with a suggestion above and build it to a trailer. Or make one. My big concern is that it looks top-heavy and might be a tip hazard.

As heavy and potentially awkward as that smoker is, in regards to maneuvering, I would go with a suggestion above and build it to a trailer. Or make one. My big concern is that it looks top-heavy and might be a tip hazard.

Yes that is definitely a concern. It is very stable and the base provides a very large footprint but no doubt a sudden shift while moving could be dangerous.

Decided to purchase a trailer. 77" x 12 feet. Tie down hooks welded in place, 3500lb axle, 15" tires with spare, ramp with torque spring assist, 3 yr warranty and 2 yr road side assist (didn't know this existed). My enclosed trailer houses our bikes and I really did not want to move them each time to load the smoker. I also decided (for now) that being able to keep the smoker in my garage was important. The weather here in La is brutal with regards to rain and storms. I appreciate all the advice.

Back