THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thoraudio

Knows what a fatty is.
Here's the deal. Our church is looking to reach out into the neighborhood, and nearby areas this summer. And nothing brings people quicker than meat on a fire.

So, I'm looking to come up with a portable grill/cooker. I'm sure burgers and dogs will be the main things cooked, so gas is an option.

Budget = $0. There is no budget, every single dollar is literally a dollar over budget. That's not saying money won't be spent, but as little as possible.

The baseline is tossing my gas grill in the bed of the truck. So anything better than that is an improvement.

Design goals.

Cook burgers and dogs for 30-100.

Portable.

Power independent.

Robust enough for 20 mile trips.

Not so ugly that people turn down free food.

My first thought is a small trailer like so, with a $200 gasser bolted to it. My concerns there are, 1)Cheap gassers are unlikely to survive bouncing down the road and 2) Cheap gassers are going to be subject to rust/flare ups/bad food, etc....

Thought about a couple of UDS's, but it's really more for grilling than smoking.

Alrighty brethren, thought and ideas?

Beg and plead for donations??? Depending on the population of your area, i would keep a look out for restaurants and hotels upgrading equipment and things like that. I know of a few people that have gotten free equipment just for taking it away for them. Maybe a HS with a metal shop class could build you some thing if you can supply the material?

You have basically did what was previously asked by a Brethren bother a few years back (request thru a Church) which ultimately became a yearly event in Dayton, Ohio known as The Pretty Good BBQ. A handful of Brethren Brothers from neighboring states converged with their pits for the community.

picture.php

Will require some organization and out of pocket expenses for the meats... however the purpose is the ultimate reason.

It was asked before why we do it... and the short answer was" Because somebody asked."

By portable do you mean you want to get the grill to the site where you will set up shop and use it, or do you mean you will have things cooking on it while on the go, or do you mean you will cook in one area for a little, and then move to another area and cook some more, etc.? If the first, I would suggest just bringing some expanded metal, some cinder blocks to rest it on, and find some open ground. Burn some logs under the expanded metal and cook over an open fire. You could get a lot of dogs a burgers on a 2' x 2' piece of expanded metal which you can buy at HD for less than $20. Burgers and dogs don't need any fancy cooker, just a fire and something to cook on. You could probably just cook them right on hot coals and then wipe the coals off the exterior too. I know Brethren Phubar did that with a steak and it turned out awesome, at least from how it looked as I did not actually eat it, although I wish I did.

Not cooking on the move, so to speak, but a Santa Maria style set up on the small trailer is an interesting idea. Wonder what I could use for the 'floor'...

By portable, I mean it may be at the church one week, at the park down the road the next, and somebody's house the next.

that trailer is a pretty good deal for a start add a 250 gal oil drum and maybe a high schooll welding class or metal man in the church and you can have good cooker that wiil cook most anything in quantity

Not cooking on the move, so to speak, but a Santa Maria style set up on the small trailer is an interesting idea. Wonder what I could use for the 'floor'...

By portable, I mean it may be at the church one week, at the park down the road the next, and somebody's house the next.

A piece of expanded metal and some cinder blocks is very portable and could easily fit in the bed of your truck. You could set up logs around it too and make it sort of a camp fire setting to make it more communal. Maybe even make some some mores. you don't need anything for the 'floor' other than some dirt. If you want to set it up on a trailer, perhaps some fire brick might work.

You have basically did what was previously asked by a Brethren bother a few years back (request thru a Church) which ultimately became a yearly event in Dayton, Ohio known as The Pretty Good BBQ. A handful of Brethren Brothers from neighboring states converged with their pits for the community.

picture.php

Will require some organization and out of pocket expenses for the meats... however the purpose is the ultimate reason.

It was asked before why we do it... and the short answer was" Because somebody asked."

That sounds awesome. Now the wheels are turning.

I don't know anything about these but when I read your message this came to mind. Maybe you could have a raffle or donation drive to get the $400? Cheers, and good luck!!!

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=183402&navAction=

I thought of that one too. Keep in mind if it's on a trailer that might make it more mobile on the road but not so much if you need to get it into a backyard, church storage area or somewhere onto a park where you can't drive the pulling vehicle onto.

Harbor freight has some cheap trailers that they run sales on every now and then. Also, keep an eye on craigslist. You might be able to find a dirt cheap boat trailer or something. Utility trailers tend to retain their value a bit more. As for the cooker, get some barrels. Maybe make a UDS for some smoking and then use another barrel to make a horizontal grill or two.

Back