Need help organizing first fundraising comp

mokanpy

Name or Nickame
Matt
Greeting Brethern,

I've read some posts on holding a Non Sanctioned bbq comp- Most recent was January-

I copied this info:
What you need to get started:
1) At least one dedicated sponsor sales person who is connected in the community and has the time and energy to spend a lot of hours chasing dollars for six months to a year.
2) A couple thousand in seed money to pay for the up front costs of sanctioning, insurance, printing, etc.
3) A pool of volunteers you can count on to do all the jobs from taking tickets to picking up endless bags of greasy, stinky trash.
4) The cooperation of your local Health, Police and Fire Departments. (In the case of the HD, a blind eye may be even better)
I already have a solid following on my facebook/twitter food truck finder page (www.lynchburgvaeats.com), and cooperation with a local brewery where the event will be held. I will draw on members of the local Relay for Life team whom this will benefit. Limit will be the first 20 teams. Planned for May.

I have a location (brewery), permits, insurance, security, camping, trash, portapotties, manpower; what other things should I consider?

I have strong interest from several local BBQ vendors, and a butcher who will supply meat/wood at a discount. Is it best for me supply the meat, or is it allowable for entrants bring their own? $75 was mentioned as a good fee to cover butts.

As it's at a brewery, I plan to sell wristbands to the public which allow open container on property (ABC rule) and Q sampling/people choice vote.

Hopefully I can have trophies donated, and a little cash left over for 1st and 2nd + paying the charity.

Above all, I want this to be fun.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I really hope you get the comp going. Lee has a great place over at apocalypse ale and I know it will bring in a good crowd.

Hello there!

Non-sanctioned events usually won't draw any teams that cook sanctioned contests other than those that live within ten minutes of the venue, because of the lack of confidence in the judging. That being the case, I suggest you make the rounds of your local churches, lodges and service clubs to promote your event. Encourage each group to form a team to cook, emphasizing the fun aspect. Once you get a team from one group, encourage them to challenge their counterparts (Lions vs Shriners, Methodists vs Baptists, Girl Scouts vs Boy Scouts, etc) to a friendly competition, perhaps with a fun wager like the loser has to do a car wash for the winner's charity or some such.

This will both bring you teams and gate sales since each group's team will have a bunch of folks that want to come out to support them.

I would not supply meat, unless you can get it donated.

Do charge for entry. Fees you collect in advance from teams should cover your prize money and trophy costs so you won't be in the red if it rains and nobody comes. Have a no refund policy.

Think outside the box on trophies. The commercial trophies and plaques quickly end up in the back of the garage and they are not as cheap to buy as they look. Try finding a local artist who is willing to do something for you, or simply hit the dollar store. With a box of cheap plastic piggy banks, some scrap wood, a hot glue gun and a bit of paint you can create unique, inexpensive trophies that will have more character and be more prized than a bowling trophy.

Do decide how winners will selected in advance, and publish these rules along with your team application. Explain your scoring system if you will use one. Define how you will handle ties in advance. If you will be just counting people's choice tickets, explain exactly how that will work, including how many tickets a person can get, where they will be sold if you are doing that, whether teams can take donations as well as tickets (as in "one dollar = one ticket") etc. I realize it is all supposed to be for fun, but you'll be amazed how worked up people can get over disputes in a so-called friendly competition, especially when alcohol is present.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask or contact me directly and I will help you however I can.

-GF

Thanks so much CW!
Great idea to invite civic groups to participate- There's always a BBQer in with them.

I have a little experience making creative trophies already. This is one we made for a car show our club attended a few years ago:
qwEhYO.jpg

Brethern,
The Comp is scheduled for Saturday June 6th, Apocalypse Ale Works, Forest, VA.
Setup and Welcome Party Friday, June 5th.
More info soon
VFo3RB.png

Nice work on the poster - extra points for actually including the city and state! It's amazing how many organizers leave off this critical information, especially important in your case since most BBQ folks think of Tennessee when they hear "Lynchburg".

Here's hoping the weather is fine and best of luck for your event!

our trophies are made by the local high school industrial arts class. we pay for the wood and the kids have a class project.

Back