Need advise on buying a new toy

Medium Fry

Found some matches.
This is a re-post as I apparently posted this in the wrong place the first time:

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have been using my Weber Performer of about 15 years and my home made smoker for several years. A friend helped me build it. It looks like something out of Appalachia as it is an old pot belly stove piped into a barrel on its side all sitting on a lawn cart so it can be moved around. It has served me well as I have smoked brisket, boston butts, chicken, salmon, and sausage.

The Weber is starting to show its age so I have been considering buying something new. Was going to get another Performa, but they are just not built the same any more. Started looking at the Primo XL Oval, but not sure it is big enough as I would like to be able to smoke up to two 15 lb brisket at a time or one and still have room for boston but or bunch of sausage. Also don't really like the idea that they require maintenance (tightening the bolts so the lid doesn't fall off when open, new gaskets, ets).

I started considering a professionally built reverse flow stick burner. Some of them are set up to be able to grill in the main smoking chamber. I would love a Klose, but can't bring myself to pay almost $2K and then still have to pay another $600 for shipping. I'm in upstate New York. I haven't found anyone local that makes them, but have found a place in VA called Custom Pits. Considering the tailgaiter or the porch model. There products look good and they offer it at a good price. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of the products from Custom Pits in VA? Any advise would much appreciated.

I go back and forth between a kamado and the reverse flow stick burner and all the brands and what is easily accessible to me. To top it all off, I also have about 500 bricks sitting in the woods waiting to be turned into a smoker. Just waiting for my neighbor to get his cement mixer running to pour the foundation.

From the sounds of what you are looking for, a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" ($400) would do you well. It has two racks and each can easily hold a large brisket. I have done 4 butts in separate foil pans at one time in mine.

Another deciding factor for you might be if you want to tend a stick burner (throw a split on every 35-45 mins) or you want something more set it and forget it like the WSM.

Check the link in my signature for some mods I did to mine including one to make it where I can direct cook right over the coals.

i think there is a traeger texas for about $350.00 near binghampton on craigslist./// just checked...it's gone. i would just keep checking craigslist though. sooner or later you get what you want.

I agree, the question is do you mind waking up at night to tend to a pit or do you want to get a good nights sleep?

In my XL egg I set up a 22" kettle grate held up by 2 foil covered bricks one on each side. I know there would be enough room for 2 briskets that way or probably 6-8 butts.

These are ribs obviously but you get the picture.

From the sounds of what you are looking for, a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" ($400) would do you well. It has two racks and each can easily hold a large brisket. I have done 4 butts in separate foil pans at one time in mine.

Another deciding factor for you might be if you want to tend a stick burner (throw a split on every 35-45 mins) or you want something more set it and forget it like the WSM.

Check the link in my signature for some mods I did to mine including one to make it where I can direct cook right over the coals.

+1 on the 22.5 WSM. Mine has run 18 hours on one load of charcoal, and Smoke Me Silly BBQ team is winning GCs and RGCs left and right on them. Best bang for your buck anywhere.

Thanks for all the replies. I must admit I really like the idea of getting to sleep through the night. On the Flip side I always have between 4.5 and 9 cords of fire wood sitting in my racks. I really like a strong smokey flavor and I have plenty of red oak mixed in with the fire wood. Using the firewood means no running out of fuel or having to buy any. After reading through a bunch of posts, it seems to me that the more efficient the unit such as a komado and maybe a WSM, the less smokey the meat becomes. Not to say it doesn't get some smoke flavor, just not as smokey.

Are there any reverse flow offset stick burners that are just a little more efficient than the average stick burner? I typically cook between 225-250. I have to admit I have even started thinking about the BGE XXL (29inches) if I could find one.

I did go and look at an XL BGE, but it wasn't big enough to get two casserole dishes in it to collect all the juices. The sales guy looked at me like I was a freak for bringing in 2 dishes to put in it. If you buy the extra raised rack for the BGE XL or Primo Oval XL, will Boston Butt or a 15lb brisket fit under the rack? Would be nice to sleep through the night for a change.

Did I mention those ribs look fingerlin good?

I have considered a cabinet smoker, but really want something that can be used as a grill too.

I guess Custom Pits out of VA is not that popular as I can not find much about them. I had hoped there would be some info out there about them.

There is a history on Custom Pits and a couple other fabricators making the same design pit; you might want to review a few of these threads.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2624043&postcount=4

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175187

That said, by all indications recently Custom Pits has corrected all/many of the shortcomings and there are several Brethren that are quite happy with them. They do have some really nice design features and it is really hard to beat their price.

Oh yea, there is a current thread that suggests someone is using on of their photos in what may be a possible nationwide Craig List scam.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198918

I ordered a Custom Pits A-1 with warming rack today. There were a few problems with the original design but have since been redesigned. I've seen several around the comps and talked to the owners. Very positive feedback. Can't wait to drive down to GA to pick it up.

Thanks Dave, you probably just saved me about $2000. I guess I will stick with what I have for now. Maybe try to modify my homemade stick burner by ripping off the 55 gal drum and replace it with a heavier duty 120 gal propane tank.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

I would be interested to know how that goes for you 5String. Custom Pits is the closest manufacturer of reverse flow stick burners to me. Meadow Creek is in PA, but I am guessing their prices are pretty high.

Back