Naturiffic X-Salt makes it's Wyocena Yacht Club debut

Harbormaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Clark
Hello everyone.
When Sir Poraklot (John) posted that he was looking for volunteers to try his X-Salt and help give it a name I was quick to respond. All of his other products sounded delicious and I have wanted to try some of his stuff. What better time than now?

When I first opened the package I took a whiff of the contents. Very unique nose to this stuff. It kind of reminded me of Oak Ridge Santa Maria rub, but it was different. Not sure what spices he uses, but they smell great together.

Now I wasn't going to test this gourmet salt on a burger, or just any cut of meat. So I stopped by my favorite meat store on the way home from work Friday and splurged on a couple of bone in rib-eyes since it was going to be just me and my oldest son Joe.

There was enough seasoning to do both steaks and leave me just enough to try it on a couple of eggs.

I put the X-Salt on the steaks and let them sit while I lit the chimney and got the grill up to temp. I cooked them reverse sear until they hit an internal of about 110, then threw them directly on the coals for 2+ minutes per side. Pulled them with an IT of 130 or so. Served them with a nice romaine/spinach salad with onions, cukes, tomatoes and avocado.

Let's talk about the meat. This seasoning is really good. Joe has a more tender palate than me, and said it was on the peppery side. I had a couple of bites that were pretty peppery too, but those bites were also too salty. Know what that means? Yep, John has the balance pretty well nailed, and I just overseasoned.

As my son and I devoured our meals, I kept thinking to myself that this would be pretty freaking awesome on a tri-tip. Why wouldn't it be? A California rub on a traditional California cut would have to be awesome.

I think you have a winner on your hands John. Best of luck with the new product, and thank you so very much for the sample! What a wonderful treat you provided for my son and me.

Oh, and the name I came up with is the winner.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent reportage! John's other salts are great, so I'd have no doubt this stuff is too. I think I got some coming my way - looking forward to checking it out!

BTW eggs are a great way to test salts, spice combos, etc. - very nicely done right there.

Back