Myron Mixon's Cook Class Report

Ya "comp" classes aren't necessarily just for folks that compete. A lot of awesome information that can be learned and techniques that people may not have tried and gives a different perspective on BBQ that you probably haven't thought of before. And a lot of those different flavors and techniques may not get used 100% at home, but it gets your brain thinking about how to incorporate new ideas into everyday bbq.

I haven't taken his class, but for all he shows with all the different meats that price is quite fair. There are teams charging that much for just a standard 4 meat kcbs class (and they are well worth it too), but to also get whole hog and the other non-kcbs meats and you get to actually get hands on is pretty sweet. Then all the food you eat and that setup is 2nd to none that i've seen.

Nice write up and pics. Really enjoyed it.

Enjoyed this thread. Very cool. I’ve got several bottles of injection just sitting. Way back when I tried it and got more on the kitchen ceiling than in the Pork Roast. You’ve inspired me to give it another try. Outside. ;-))

Appreciate the great write-up! This is on my bucket list for this coming year.

I have been wondering about his brisket approach. Does the Myron Nixon method of cooking brisket work and have any of you tried with great success? From what I recall, he injects with beef broth. Smoke at 300F for an hour, then second hour spritz every 15min. Third hour, in pan and wrapped and kept in until point at 200-205F. Pull and keep in cooler for 2 to 4 hours.

Is this same, better or worse than low and slow? Thoughts from experience? I am doing a 14lb full brisket tonight or tomorrow. Just trying to determine if I do my usual low and slow, or his method.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Showed this thread to The Bride:

Bride: if I gave you 2K right now, would you go?
Me: Eyes dropping to floor
Bride: exactly you’d be on a large western river Flyfishing or a gun store.
Me: but,?but

Also Me: I’m going to the library

Last edited:
I love this thread. A 180 from what you got to see as MM as a judge. I bet he’s a really cool guy and excellent teacher.

Back