My sauerkraut

locolobo

is one Smokin' Farker
Didn't go as planned . Was Way too salty. I threw it out before I thought about rinsin the salt off and see where that went. Oh well i'll give it another go another time. Maybe a little salt (1/2 tsp?) between layers of cabbage abd forego the layer on top?

You know the old saying If at first you dont succeed try try again :razz:
You will get it. I know people have made it on here. Do a search and see what they did

Besides being too salty did it ferment, meaning did it get sour?

I would suggest following a recipe , I've always had success with the one from The Joy Of Pickling. Hers calls for 9 Tablespoons of "pickling" salt per 15 pounds of cabbage. I just made 10 pounds and used 6 Tablespoons which ended up making 6 quarts of kraut.
So for your original quart jar you should've/could've used 1 tablespoon of pickling salt to 1 2/3 pounds of shredded cabbage.
I hope you find a recipe that works because home made kraut is great.

When my mom wanted us kids out of the house, she would open a can of sauerkraut and proceed to heat it up. All I know is that canned stuff did not smell good at all.

Recipes for kraut are very vague.

I have found get the freshest cabbage you can find…finely shred…add 2% salt weight to cabbage.

Add salted water if needed…to cover…shouldn’t need if it’s fresh cabbage

Standard for the lactobacilli is 2.25% - 2.5%, although the growth could survive 3%, 2.5% is much more hospital to the bacteria.

Bruising the shredded cabbage to release the liquids to dissolve the salt is equally important.

Sorry about the triple post Had other things on my mind @ the same time. Usually doesn;t work too well!

Chit happens :-D I cleaned it up. If it happens again please report the duplicate posts so we can help out.

When I do kraut I use a fine salt and dissolve it in water to make a 2.5% brine. After I shred the cabbage I bruise it as Madman mentioned along with 2.5% by weight of the same fine salt, pack that in my jars and add the brine to cover, if needed, and I use weights to keep the kraut submerged.

Last edited:
The rule of thumb I've seen a lot and used a dozen times or more is 3 Tbsp of salt per 5 lbs of shredded cabbage. I usually do three layers, with 1 tbsp of salt per layer. Of course tamping down each layer as I go.

I do stir up the cabbage and salt per layer, then put in the thing and tamp down. The instructions are usually quite vague, and it seems fairly forgiving, as long as the cabbage is underwater, it'll ferment.

I've never had to add water to mine, the tamping and the salt gets the water out of the cabbage. Cabbage is mostly water, after all.

Back