My first brisket

icebox114

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Hello all, just wanted to thank the Brethren collectively for all the tips, tricks and hints that I've found all over this forum that have helped me dive in deeper into the wonderful world of BBQing.

Finished my UDS a couple weekends ago, seasoned it, but haven't been able to christen it due to vacations and such.

Picked up a 14 pounder from my butcher, whom I barter which is great, and did a 50/50 kosher salt and crushed pepper rub.

Used KBB and ROL with a bunch of smaller chunks of hickory. Minion method in a chimney to start, got the temp up to 280s steady and put her on. Got there by closing the three 3/4"capped holes and leaving the 3/4" ball valve open about 3/4 of the way. My plan was to do Bludawg's hot and fast method trying to keep the temps up around 300. The spike in temp from opening the lid and then subsequent drop do to the mass of cold meat really threw me for a loop, especially I the wee hours of the morning on no sleep. Tried to get a nap in, but the remote thermometer wouldn't transmit through basement walls and I woke up to a 185 smoker temp. Got it back up to the 300s and figured I would just cook it longer. Wrapped it in butcher paper at 170. Probe tender around 11 hours in the thickest part of flat, but temp at that spot was 190. Kept it on another hour until temp was 199 and then pulled it off. Wrapped in towels and rested in cooler for about 3 hours.

Plated with potato salad and doctored beans that I put open on the UDS at the end of the cook under the brisket. Left those on for a few hours, probably could've done less since they seemed pretty dried out .
My slices were a little bigger than a 1/4 inch, and the meet was very tender and so delicious, but I thought maybe a little on the dry side. Perhaps cooked a little too long? Had a couple of families over and everybody loved it, even the picky-eater kids. My kids gobbled it, as I knew they would as they're meataholics. Overall a great cook and a great day.

Nothing like building your own cooker and then nailing a brisket for the first cook.:thumb:

Looks like an excellent first run

Judging by that slice, it looks a little over cooked, but, not hugely so

Looks like an excellent first run

Judging by that slice, it looks a little over cooked, but, not hugely so

Agreed. If you saved some of the pan drippings from the foiling, pour that over the slices. Or, if you want, you could whip up an au jus or just some beef broth and drop slices in it. Or, just eat as is :p

I used a pan underneath the meat to serve more as a diffuser than a drip collector. It was just my nasty water pan from my old ECB. Next time I'll clean that up and possibly use the drippings.

Other things I learned are:
1. I need a sharper knife, that is a must before my next cook.
2. Trust the probe test. I know it's been mentioned before that it's a better measure than internal temp, an I know now from experience. Should've believed in that one more.
3. The kosher salt I used was the bottom of the container, and I noticed it was finer than what normally would come out. I think making sure the salt is as course as the crushed pepper is key too.
4. Bigger chunks of wood also. I was happy with the smoke ring, but there were times when there just didn't seem to be a lotta TBS.

First time out the gate I'd call it a winner:thumb: Don't let the meat temp mess with ya trust the probe & the plan I have no idea what temp mine are.

Thanks, everyone. I know I've got a lot to improve on, and this definitely won't be the last one. Leftovers today in the steamer weren't quite as good, but still better than any other leftover I've had in a long time.

Back