My first, and last, smoked Duck

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tim
Just had to try it!

Brined about 12 hours or so in standard salt/sugar/herbs brine.
Smoked at 260 for about 3 hours on pure apple pellets.
Internal of 150-155 when pulled off FEC.

It was wonderful, as far as taste, texture, etc went.
Moist with a bold taste that was great.

So, why is it my last?
Yield, or lack there-of :twisted:

It had layer after layer of fat everywhere. I was able to dig out three "snack sized" samples for me, Mrs Kapn, and the neighbor who was hanging around.
We all loved the meat, what there was of it.
I kept trimming, and trimming, and trimming fat and finally just gave up.
Was fixing to throw it in the trash.
Neighbor took the carcass home--said he would dig out what meat he could.
He told me today that he got about 1.5 cups of meat, and that was all.
Probably one real serving of 3 to 4 oz or so.

I had about $9 in that duck, direct cost.
So, it was about $36/lb for the finished meat.
A bit rich for my budget.

This may have been the fattest duck in the world, but I will not try again. :oops:

TIM

Attachments

• Duck.jpg
    Duck.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 196
Somebody just asked me to smoke a duck. As long as they are paying, I'll smoke it but I will be sure to pass this info on to them before I do so they don't get pissed at me.

yours looks good -

Ducks are very low-yield, but what you do get soooo goood. I only cook them when I have this certain Chinese couple coming over. The wife grew up in a family owned resturant and carved her first duck when she was 5. What you are really getting is the breast meat. She removes the breast from the bone and then slices them. She goes at the rest of the carcus with a cleaver and pulls off some more meat.

In regards to the the fat, you need to cut away as much as you can before you cook. I do not think you cooked it long enough and or hot enough. At any time during the cook did you poor off the fat from the body cavity? That's why lots of ducks are cooked hanging. Also, with all the fat that the bird starts with, a brine is overkill.

Also think about a galze and finnishing over a hot grill.

I guess I've had way better luck than you with ducks. Maybe it's like experimenting with new brands of store-bought packaged sausage; sometimes you strike out. Last week, one of the local supermarkets had 1-pound fatties @ 10/$10. I cooked two and they were basically spiced fat/gristle. I returned the rest.

I did my research before doing this duck.
I was ready for "low yield", but beyond disappointed by a 5% (or less) yield.
May just have been this duck, but enough experimenting for me.

Even with the techniques to render out or trim off the fat--no way to "make more meat" on this duck.

At least the cook was not a total bomb.
Turkey breast was PURRFECT! :lol:

I won't discuss the 6 slabs of ribs that went into the trash, nor the stuffed loin that met the same fate :oops:

TIM

Attachments

• Turkey Breast.jpg
    Turkey Breast.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 155
Just had to try it!

Brined about 12 hours or so in standard salt/sugar/herbs brine.
Smoked at 260 for about 3 hours on pure apple pellets.
Internal of 150-155 when pulled off FEC.

It was wonderful, as far as taste, texture, etc went.
Moist with a bold taste that was great.

So, why is it my last?
Yield, or lack there-of :twisted:

It had layer after layer of fat everywhere. I was able to dig out three "snack sized" samples for me, Mrs Kapn, and the neighbor who was hanging around.
We all loved the meat, what there was of it.
I kept trimming, and trimming, and trimming fat and finally just gave up.
Was fixing to throw it in the trash.
Neighbor took the carcass home--said he would dig out what meat he could.
He told me today that he got about 1.5 cups of meat, and that was all.
Probably one real serving of 3 to 4 oz or so.

I had about $9 in that duck, direct cost.
So, it was about $36/lb for the finished meat.
A bit rich for my budget.

This may have been the fattest duck in the world, but I will not try again. :oops:

TIM

I try NOT to look at it this way, but if you think that yield and price per pound is high, look at it from a sportsman's point of view.... Truck, gas, dog, decoys, license, stamp, gun, shells, boots, camo, beer, lunch, etc.
I caught some trout last week that were about $60 per pound. Now that the lakes are starting to ice over, the price is really going to go up. :mrgreen:

One of my huntin' buddies that does the full circle, (Elk, Deer, Antelope) figures he could buy 2 steers and a freezer to hold them for what he spends during hunting season. This is one story that doesn't get mentioned around the women folk.

I'm a big duck hunter and I don't save any part of the duck other than the breast. So little meat on any other part, it's just not worth it. So you need quite a few ducks for a meal. Teal are the best!

Im with the Kapn. I cooked 2 ducks a couple years ago. The greasist mess Ive even seen. Never did a duck again, wild or store bought. Turned me off for good.

What about the legs?

I ask because I caught an episode of Bobby Flay's Throwdown last night and he was using some "smoked duck leg" in a crepe-wrap thing... Looked good...

My neighbor just asked when I was firing up the smoker again. He said that he had shot 2 ducks and wanted to know if I would smoke them. I'm cooking 2 butts Monday, will probably throw on the ducks as well. I'll tell him about the yield.

Back