My favorite brand of brisket

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Is Black Canyon choice grade from Sam’s Club. Yes choice, not prime. I like these better than any brand and grade carried by Sam’s, Costco, or a variety of local grocers. The results are always consistently excellent provided I do my part. I bought a case of them for my buddy’s wedding this fall. Figured it was probably our safest bet to just go ahead and get the meat now. I look forward to cooking these.

(the IBP box on the floor is the pork)

I tend to prefer superior angus brand from RD. it's upper choice. I really liked Costco prime briskets but there was so much extra fat to trim and honestly the points were hard to render properly.

I've noticed that Goldees seems to cook Creekstone Farms choice briskets, and I bet it's because it's easier to render out the fat. I think any upper 2/3rds choice is a good sweetspot for briskets . I used to be able to source the Creekstone Farms primes from my butcher and they always turned out good but they are rich. Occasionally I'll see a CAB brisket at the grocery store and I'll snag it. Sam's doesn't always have the Black Canyon brand. I'll keep an eye out. They have another brand they also carry.

Yeah, they had Excel there too, which is what they tried to give me at first (I said I wanted Black Canyon). The Black Canyon briskets came in a National Beef box, so I guess it's one of their lines.

I’ve never paid attention to the fact that they have different brands for choice. I’ll have to check that out again. I do know my 2 favorite briskets from Sam’s we’re both choice.

From my beginning in smoked meat my lean too for advice always taught me "choice is the sweet spot"

I've always enjoyed asking people if Angus was a brand, breed or grade. You pretty much know all you need to know by their answer. CAB has done a wonderful job marketing their brand.

I remember my meat supplier pitching Black Canyon and being happy with them. Honestly, I don't remember whether it was Black Canyon or some other canyon, but they met our needs, ie consistent size, trimming, etc. As mentioned in another thread, we cooked choice grade with a few prime mixed in. And, it is just as easy to screw up a prime brisket as it is to screw up a choice.

IMHO, good thinking to get the meat now. Not only is the future price uncertain, the supply may be also. To be clear, I mean supply at the time you need them, not in the future generally.

Amen my brother! I know we both mentioned in different cooks and threads about how much we love Black Canyon. I put down a Prime anytime there is a Black Canyon brisket around.

Amen my brother! I know we both mentioned in different cooks and threads about how much we love Black Canyon. I put down a Prime anytime there is a Black Canyon brisket around.

Periodically customers would ask if the brisket was Angus. Often it wasn't and I told them Angus was not the only breed of cow that taste good. :-D

Kroger had briskets on sale last week for $1.99 a lb, been $5+ for a very long time, Excel brand, bought 8 to share some with the family, getting ready to grind 1 this weekend for burgers.

Back