Mother's day brisket fail - Not!

retired trucker

is Blowin Smoke!
First off I want to apologize for no PRON! My pitiful camera was dead in the water and there was no reviving it on the spot! (Hint, Hint to wife for idea's for Father's day) I started out with a 13 pound Angus packer from Sam's I bought two weeks ago. The flat was not very thick on the end, but tapered to about 1 1/2 inch thick about 2 inches up from the tip. Over all it was about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 on what I consider a good brisket.

Pulled it out of the fridge and lightly coated it in EVOO. I trimmed some excess fat off the point and cleaned up the sinew off the flat and left the fat cap pretty much as it was as it was pretty uniform. (about 1/2 inch overall) Applied some Lowery's season salt liberally on both sides, and did the same with some black pepper, and then applied a thin coating of lemon pepper. Left it out on the counter as I fired up the UDS with Kingsford Blue, and a few chunks of over dried cherry.

Brought the temps up to 225 and let her settle down for a few minutes. Stuck the Maverick probe in the thickest part of the flat and put it on the grill. I then let the temp rise to about 260 and let her cook until the meat probe read about 170. Opened the drum up and pulled the meat out and wrapped in foil good and tight. I meant to flip it over so the fat side would be up, but in my rush to get the lid on the drum and shut, I forgot to flip it.

I let it cook until it reached 105 on the Maverick, and then shut the air off and covered the exhaust. Should have checked it for tenderness, but decided not to open up the drum. Let it sit there for about 1 1/2 hours until the rest of the meal was ready. It reached 112 degrees before it stopped rising. When I pulled it off the drum it was reading 107 degrees. Unwrapped it and it was extremely moist and tender. However, it was too tender to slice into slices, so I had to just cut it into 1 inch chunks that fell apart when picked up. The taste was outstanding, and the family really bragged on how tender and tasty it was. Of course I was disappointed in it , as I am my own worst critic, but I have to admit that it was some good eating. The leftovers will make some great chopped sammies, and I have learned some lessons about being lazy when cooking a brisket. I did get a good nap in my easy chair while it was cooking though, so all was not lost.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

Come on take some cell phone pics! and I think your temps are off in your last paragraph, or I'll have to disagree that it was tender... :wink:

Tell the Mrs to get you new key board too Omar seems the Two button is broken on yours.:p I'll take over cooked Brisket any day over under cooked.

You are right, it should read 212 and not 112. That is what you get when you type something late at night when you are tired and brain dead. The camera had dead batteries and need new ones after 3 years, but it is a crappy camera. My cell phone is a piece of &*&* and takes terrible pictures, but talks and text's ok which is all we use it for. It is a communication device, and not a fancy smart phone/with a decent camera.

I am with you Bludawg, overcooked is better than undercooked as long as it is still moist and tender, as this one was.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being lazy in a cook, Q'ing was not meant to be a high anxiety event. I even had a professor say "the difference between high level anxiety and low level paranoia are minimal".

Lazy is good.

Back