More information on our upcoming benefit cook

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
The following was in our local paper. I also have a jpeg file of the flyer that I can't get to upload (too big maybe, too much in my account???) Anyway, the info on the flyer is the same, but a bit prettier for those of you who like pretty things :)

The Ruth Cooper Research Fund is holding a benefit on March 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm at the Forman Center.

Ruth Cooper was a lifelong resident of Manito. In 1990 Ruth was diagnosed with Vascular Ehlers-Danlos, a genetic connective tissue disorder that cannot be cured and alters life for those with the disease. The mutated gene that is carried by those with VEDS results in the body producing faulty collagen (a protein which is like a glue that gives connective tissue strength). Many VEDS patients suffer from aneurisms, and arterial and organ ruptures which cannot be repaired due to the thin, fragile state of the vascular system. In 1990 Ruth thought she was having a heart attack but instead her aorta had dissected. Luckily for Ruth and her family, after hearing how her father and oldest brother had died at an early age, a doctor treating her thought maybe he knew what was going on. This was the first time the words Ehlers-Danlos had ever been spoken to us. Ruth and her family went to Johns Hopkins where a definitive diagnosis was made. Ruth was 37 when she was given this diagnosis and was told she would not live to be 40. Ruth lost her life at age 56 to complications of VEDS on March 12, 2010. Three of Ruth’s 5 daughters have been diagnosed with VEDS.

Ruth’s Family is holding a benefit on March 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm at the Forman Center in Manito to raise funds for VEDS research. The benefit will include a roasted pork dinner and a hot dog meal for kids, adults $7.00, kids $5.00, from 5:00-7:00 (take out meals available). A live auction will begin at 7:00. There will also be a silent auction, a raffle, bag toss game and a cash bar. Party On Productions will be spinning music from 9:00 pm until 1 am, $5.00 at the door for the dance. Meal tickets will be sold at the door or in advance by contacting Chris James 309-360-1095, Karen James at 309-657-3508 or Brittany Dorf at 309-370-4529.

Ruth touched many lives during the battles she faced each day living with this disorder. It is the family’s hope that we can provide some financial support for a research project that is being done by Dr. Hal Dietz at Johns Hopkins University to medicinally help control and prevent aneurisms and ruptures in all VEDS patients. His work is very promising and he has hopes to have a medicine within 5 years.

[FONT=&quot]Donations such as monetary gifts, volunteers or products for the auction are needed. Please contact Karen James at 309-657-3508 if you have something you would like to donate and we will gladly pick it up.

[/FONT]

Mr. Dan, it sounds to me like you are going to have a good time cookin.

Best of luck, CG

Dan, you should be able to upload the flyer to Photobucket or Picasa and link to it from there.

RCMFFlyer.jpg

Best to you and those helping with the fundraiser. A rare genetic disorder (monogenic diabetes, about 50 known cases in the U.S.) struck my family three years ago yesterday. My son, who was only 9 weeks old at the time, got really sick really quick and ended up at death's door. We didn't know he was diabetic and when he got to the hospital his blood sugar was over 1000. His body was shutting down and it was all the Doctor's could do to just keep him alive. At 2.00 a.m. the head of the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit told us there was a good chance he would not survive the night. We spent three weeks in the hospital with our little guy and he pulled through. He is now on an oral medication for diabetes and doing awesome (see avatar :) ). He is a Miracle Child through Children's Miracle Network after being sponsored by his nurses who saw him through. ALL THIS TO SAY, you are doing God's Work my friend, I hope you raise a ton of dough, God bless, I won't be there but can you PM me info so I can give without showing up?

I just found out that of Ruth's children, two of the daughters have been diagnosed wiht the same thing. More incentive for them to have a great fund raiser...

Lord have mercy...

Dan is 8lbs of rub sufficient?
BBS, that's very generous. I honestly have no idea how much rub we'll need. I know that it's gonna be four hogs. Let me find out about how many pounds, but I bet 8lbs will be great.

Of course, 8lbs of EACH of your rubs would be better. :roll::becky:

Back