Mold in WSM so making brisket in the performer.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I found mold in my WSM when I went to make a brisket today, so I decided to make it in the performer for the first time.

D70-CA9-A0-BD81-4639-9-B59-247297-EDC03-E.jpg

I’m using a 4x4 snake with a few chunks of post oak on top with all of the vents wide open. The photo was taken when the grate was rotated some at an hour into the cook.
E25-E9756-5-BB4-4-AFE-90-AF-3-DFE51448846.jpg

I have a second kettle, I’m wondering if it would be easier and faster to set up a snake in my second kettle to continue the cook when the first one runs out mid cook. Anyone here do that?

I plan to burn the mold out of the WSM this weekend.

Half way there. In the stall.

I’m just going to keep it going in circles. I’m extending the snake every 3 hours. Just added the water pan to the grate level at 6hr.

Apparently the Meater app don’t know that briskets stall. It showed that it would be done in a few hours before the stall, now it says it needs another 15 hours while it’s in the stall.

3-A1-B437-B-344-B-449-F-B319-0-CB498-D9107-A.jpg

67-CD717-F-FDC2-407-A-BE94-233-F3-BC3370-B.jpg

Last edited:
The wind storm that is hitting some of you is starting here in a couple hours so I decided to put everything away and move the brisket into the house. It’s sitting in a 275°f oven. I put the burning charcoal In the water pan to douse the fire and plan to cover the grill in an hour so.

This is the first time using post oak and the aroma coming out of the oven smells wonderful.

550-A1390-6-CA3-4072-A7-D7-C7720-B891710.jpg

B952-E5-F4-CE39-4-F15-ADD4-F70885-E00320.jpg

Last edited:
With winged grill I can just twist it to the area I need to add fuel, lift the wing and add another couple hours of briqs. I always leave the meat centered on the grill to reduce need to lift the lid.
Ed

It rested wrapped and on the counter for 7 hours. It was just warm when I sliced it. And we ate it as we sliced it on the counter.

It looked beautiful. And was good, but I think that it may be slightly overdone. I expect it to be better when we eat it at a proper serving temperature later today.
[UPDATE] It is excellent once heated to the proper serving temp in the microwave!

I will try brisket on the kettle again but I will get a 10-12lb brisket next time instead of a 17lb brisket.

1385-DAE6-2704-444-F-8-F44-17-BB944-AA7-D0.jpg

58-F75-DDA-391-F-4-D16-B3-C0-A7283-CC8228-B.jpg

Last edited:
That's a big brisket for a performer. Why didn't you just spray out the the WSM? I've had mould more than once and wipe it down with a mould killer and soapy water. Not an issue.

That's a big brisket for a performer. Why didn't you just spray out the the WSM? I've had mould more than once and wipe it down with a mould killer and soapy water. Not an issue.

I usually do a full burnout for mold which takes hours. I also wanted to start the brisket we bought that morning pronto because a very bad weather system that slammed parts of the US was forecast to be in my area the morning after the cook.

The brisket was prepped and ready to go on and I already used the gas assist on my performer to light a small chimney of coals to do a minion method in the WSM. Then I pulled out the 22” WSM and found the mold. My 18” WSM is buried in the shed and was probably too small, my Green Mountain has a weak smoke profile on brisket even using a pellet tube, so I decided to use the Performer.

I’ve been using the Performer for everything this year so making the brisket on it seemed like a good thing to try, and I’m glad I did. The 17lb brisket was tight but doable, and it did come out fine.

Back