Modifying the lower air vents on older style kettle

Mitch_f1

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Mitchell
Hello everyone,

I have an EE code 57cm kettle with the 3 separate "daisy" vents. Just wondering if anyone has modified these vents to make their position visible without having to lean under the BBQ? Thinking of attaching some kind of rod, so that it can be seen from above/easier to change.

Thanks

Difficult with the kid closed to keep temp stable, but thanks for your input.

When I built my Smokey Joe mini smoker, I carefully bent the tab on the bottom vent and attached a 1/4" x 4" bolt to it. The bolt head would get to hot to touch so I ground off the head and with help of some JB Weld stuck a wood drawer pull on it. Then put marks on the kettle for open, close and halfway. Don't know if something like this could work on a big kettle.

Ken

IMO/IME easiest way is just to remember/set a marker. Have it wide open running parallel to your house, or something. Or just leave it be and use the exhaust for temp control

When I built my Smokey Joe mini smoker, I carefully bent the tab on the bottom vent and attached a 1/4" x 4" bolt to it. The bolt head would get to hot to touch so I ground off the head and with help of some JB Weld stuck a wood drawer pull on it. Then put marks on the kettle for open, close and halfway. Don't know if something like this could work on a big kettle.

Ken

I have done similar on my SJ turned smoker.

I need to do it again on my WSM's.

No reason it wouldn't work on a kettle.

However at the Weber Kettle Club forum you would be a POS for defiling an old kettle :confused:

If you want all the vents to work together, get an OTS. Plenty of them out there. Have an H model I don't use anymore.

Ended up doing this. Not used in a cool yet (only just finished) but if the handle gets too hot I can make a wooden sleeve. But it achieves the purpose of being able to see without craning neck under with lid closed.

Back