Mixon g9 vs Humphreys pint

mad_max

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hey everyone.
I am pretty new to the forum and I have a rec tec pellet grill that finally went out after 7 years of service. Anyway I am in the market for a new smoker and have somewhat narrowed it down to the humphreys pint or the myron mixon g9 I just had a couple questions I was hoping some of you could help me with. With the g9 does the bottom grate have a significant heat difference? Is it really worth the extra $ over the Humphreys? And does the Humphreys really have even heat distribution? In your experience which style cooker gives the best smoke flavor? Either unit will be getting a brand new guru to help it out. Thanks for any and all insight!

Hey everyone.
I am pretty new to the forum and I have a rec tec pellet grill that finally went out after 7 years of service. Anyway I am in the market for a new smoker and have somewhat narrowed it down to the humphreys pint or the myron mixon g9 I just had a couple questions I was hoping some of you could help me with. With the g9 does the bottom grate have a significant heat difference? Is it really worth the extra $ over the Humphreys? And does the Humphreys really have even heat distribution? In your experience which style cooker gives the best smoke flavor? Either unit will be getting a brand new guru to help it out. Thanks for any and all insight!

Both great cookers. I love my pint. The heat front to back is identical, it is cooler at the bottom. I use this to my advantage. It has an internal dampener that you can adjust to regulate heat from top to bottom, but after a few cooks I learned how it ran and decided I liked having it cooler on the bottom as it gave me more options when cooking multiple things. Can't go wrong with either.

Hey everyone.

Hey Mad Max! Thanks for messaging this in! Even heat side to side, front to back. One thing to keep in mind with even heat from top to bottom is a couple of things.
1. When cooking with water, water will only get to 212°F. IF you plan on cooking hotter than that, then at the top will be hotter and the bottom (where the water is) will be colder, because the water will act as an insulator to cook low and slow.
2. Wanna cook with higher temps and not have a heat difference from top to bottom, Cook Dry. This will help to even out the temps.
3. Don't worry we have you covered. We install an Advanced Air Flow plate within your cooking chamber. This plate acts like a damper to control how fast the heat and smoke move within your cooking chamber. If you have it open fully, the air will move fast creating a bigger heat swing. Some customers like PHarp like to use the swing to their advantage as he mention. Close up the plate and it will slow the air movement in your cooking chamber. This will help to even out the temps.

Please, if you have any additional questions, you know where to find me! info@humphreysbbq.com

I don't think you will go wrong with either one. In all fairness though, I don't think you will find much feedback on the Mixon and a few on the forums have a somewhat negative view of him so don't look favorably on the smokers that carry his name.

If Humphrey's wasn't so far away, I would probably have one already! They have a huge following for good reason.

I love my Pint. There are certainly top to bottom temp differences, but as other posters say that can be used as an advantage. and there are ways to minimize the differences as others have said.

I had my heart set on a gravity feed (was looking at assassin and southern q) adn did a lot of research on them. From what i have gathered the G9 is a nice small GF. You pay extra for the name and the stainless interior (big deal if you want to cater), but if neither of those matter to you, there are less expansive options that are just as good. It is also my understanding that basically all GF have a very significant top to bottom difference.

Given your location, it might be worth checking out Cascade smokers http://www.cascadesmokers.com/ in Terrebonne. You could save a lot of $ on shipping. They are supposed to be top notch smokers.

Given your location, it might be worth checking out Cascade smokers http://www.cascadesmokers.com/ in Terrebonne. You could save a lot of $ on shipping. They are supposed to be top notch smokers.

Wow, you got that right! Shipping would have been minimal, don't know what the distance is between location's but he could have probably driven there to pick up a smoker from Cascade Smokers as Oregon is not that big of a State? Regardlesd, I'm sure he'll be happy with choice

I looked real hard at the cascade. It was a tough decision as their would have been no shipping cost. But I like the looks and reputation of Humphreys! And I got the valentine sale!!!

Back