Mixing Pork Belly With Pork Butt?

SmoothBoarBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Donnie
Hey All,

I picked up some pork bellies at Costco and am looking at smoking them as a bit of a change from my usual BBQ meats. I'm thinking that mixing the bellies with some pork butt would keep the final texture from being too fatty, and would kind of give the taste / texture almost of "whole hog" BBQ.

Has anybody done this before and if so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I've used Chef Tom's method of "pork belly 2 ways" a few times over the years and it always comes out really good...this time I'm just planning on cooking everything to be pulled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UwN03vrLJU

Pork Burnt Ends!
SO GOOD!

https://www.google.com/search?q=por...hrome.0.0l6.9479j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Pick a vid that suits you. But basically, the slab is cut into cubes (bite sized), I shoot for ~1" - ish.

I made these for our Family and Friends Christmas Diner and White Elephant gift exchange.
Fark! I created a monster! Now I get requests to make them. :wacko:

Of course, me, myself, and I would do what God intended for Pork Belly and be Makin Bacon.
I cure mine for 14 days, and it takes about 25 days from start to finish. But Applewood Cold Smoked Bacon is delish.

Pork! The Other White Meat!

Fine chop pork shoulder
Coarse chop smoked belly
Mix with shredded Gouda

This is the mixture to make killer ABT’s

I prefer big non stretch marked jalapeños and thin wrapped bacon.
Roll jalapeños on counter find their natural ”upside”

Use the cockpit method

I actually did this a few weeks ago, basically using the same logic that you have put forth. It was fantastic. They key, at least for me, with pork belly is to let it keep cooking once you think it is done. I have yet to overcook one but have undercooked several. I did two butts and one center cut pork belly from sams and it was really good.

Of course, me, myself, and I would do what God intended for Pork Belly and be Makin Bacon.
I cure mine for 14 days, and it takes about 25 days from start to finish. But Applewood Cold Smoked Bacon is delish.

Pork! The Other White Meat!

For bacon variety, maybe try a savory bacon or pancetta (can be used in a lot of dishes to perk them up).

For bacon variety, maybe try a savory bacon or pancetta (can be used in a lot of dishes to perk them up).

Thanks Ed!
I've made several, Buckboard, Canadian (Back Bacon), and piles of Sow Belly.
We definitely like the Belly Bacon the best.

But pork burnt ends really got raves.

I'll have to look into making some Pancette...

Did somebody say Pork Belly? I thought I heard someone say let's cook Pork Belly.

Never done it before until this week. I decided on Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
What a marvelous, wonderful, and flavorful thing this becomes.
If you need a way to make an impression on some folks, Pork Belly Burnt Ends seems like a great answer. I may be the last guy on this forum to figure this out. But I'm glad I did.

Here's how it looked.

Start out with some little cubes of pork magic. Dust them with some rub.
picture.php
Then give them a few hours of smoke
picture.php

After the smoke comes braising in butter and honey
picture.php

After the braising, a little finishing with some sticky sauce and we're ready to eat
picture.php

Then its time to plate it with a little Fetuccini and a cold beverage. Time to eat !
picture.php

picture.php

Hope you enjoyed the journey. All in all about 4 1/2 hours in the smoker.

Flavor is out of this world good.
Pork Belly ? Did somebody say Pork Belly? My answer would be YES

So I dished out about 50Lbs of pork butt with about 20Lbs of pork belly mixed in. People loved it and it added a bit more of a salty / savory flavor to the pulled pork. Funny enough I had to pull / mix a 2nd batch while I had people waiting in line, and I started to talk to a few of them. These guys didn't know what pork belly was....I told them it's where bacon comes from, and that I chose to just smoke it rather than cure it. I gave a few people some of those coiled up belly strands and the consensus was this : "This stuff taste so good why would anybody bother making bacon out of it?"

LMAO... good stuff. Definitely something I will do again in the future if the price allows for it. I paid about $3/Lb for belly and that's pretty high just to mix in with Boston Butts for some additional flavor / texture.

To everybody suggesting doing Pork Belly Burnt Ends those are great and I have done them many times, but there's different ways to cook things and I feel like straight up smoked slab pork belly strands are much tastier. For those of you who haven't even tried doing just a slab of belly I highly recommend it. I smoked mine for about 12 hours at 225° unwrapped the entire time. You really need to get in there and start pulling apart those long strands...coil them up and they make for an incredible bite.
Simple salt and pepper rub really allows you to get a good flavor of the pork belly without it being covered over by complex rubs and sauces.

Back