Mini WSM Maiden Voyage w/ pron (In progress)

Great build and nice cook. The recent spike in mini wsm posts is really making me want to build one. Now how to sell it to the wife...

Selling it to your wife should be easy. Start off by saying you want to buy a $300-$400 smoker but then say that instead, you could do a project together and build one for only about $50.

I am in the process of burning mine in. I am impressed with the stable temps over 4 hrs. What I am not impressed with is the quanity and quality of smoke. I filled the bottom with lump I put 3 small wood chunks spread out. I put about 8 pieces of lit lump in the middle. for the first 45 minutes I wouldnt put that kind of smoke on any meat ever on my stick burner. White bitter smoke. Once it calmed down, the smoke pretty much went away. I added 1 small piece of wood and it produced white bitter smoke too long. It finally turned thin blue but not before putting 15 minutes of crap smoke out.

I have never cooked on a wsm or this mini. Do you not get alot of smoke on these? Am I doing something wrong. I have a steady temp of 238.

Back