Menu suggestions for work get-together?

misterrachel

Knows what a fatty is.
We're hosting a get-together at our house with my wife's co-workers. Although it is my strongest suit, she's nixed pulled pork. She wants me to do a brisket instead. So... I want to impress with a nice variety of stuff off the UDS. Here's sort of what I'm thinking. Would love suggestions.

1) Brisket
2) A couple of spatchcocked chickens
3) Something fun, like a bacon explosion or perhaps pig candy (or even something simple like smoking some italian sausages). I don't want to do moink balls or abts.

Thoughts?

There are these things called Pig Shots, I see them on here from time to time, they sure look good.

I also like grilled or smoked corn, wings, pig candy is a great idea

I think you are on to something with the Italian sausage idea. I smoke them, cut into two bite chunks and then bake in the UDS covered with peppers, onions and a can of tomatoes(I prefer Rotel but any will do)

Whenever I cook for my crew these always get eaten, they may brag about the ribs or chicken but the sausage is always gone. If not overcooked in the smoking phase the link chunks plump up real nicely.

If people are not used to smoked food and smoking verbage I would always go with the fattie. Just by its name alone it creates interest and even a small piece or a taste of it gives a person a good experience. You can stuff it with whatever you think is good. Plus it can be cooked at whatever temp your UDS is running at during the cook. If you need to crisp up the bacon at the end it can be done in the broiler or on a gasser.

Pig shots are a great treat that are easy to do for appetizers.

Keilbasa medallions, wrapped in bacon, filled with cream cheese mixture and brown sugar. They have been a huge hit whenever I go to cookouts.

You could also add some simple brats or italian sausage and smoke those. They are great with a mustard based bbq sauce.

A chef friend used to do a lot of company picnics and two of his biggest hits were grilled pepperoni sticks as an appetizer and Chinese long beans with a heavy coat of spicy teriyaki.

Smoke some Salmon and mix it with cream cheese and chives. Serve on crackers with some hot sauce. Always a hit.

Chicken wings are good too.

Pork ribs or wings would be good since they're kind of finger foods. When I'm having people over I usually try and avoid having to make them cut something with a knife and fork, since there is a tendency to eat while mingling instead of sitting down. I gravitate toward sandwiches and finger foods. Spatchcocking chickens, you would then have to cut them up and serve them on a platter or something. For that reason I would rather smoke a couple chuckies for beef sandwiches, not to mention I suck at cooking brisket. With that said, maybe you're party is a bit more "classy" than what I'm used to. :grin: Pig shots always add a nice wow factor.

PIGSHOTS! Most popular app I've cooked this year, followed by MOINKS. Though awesome, ABT's are actually not getting the luv they once did.

That salmon cream cheese thing sounds incredibly good. It's in the rotation to try next time I can work it in.

you can smoke some chicken ahead of time and make smoked chicken salad. I like to serve it on small dinner rolls. Kinda like chicken salad sliders. My family loves orange-horseradish chicken salad... i think that the original recipe came from one of the Disney restaurants and is available at allears.com.

Since you've mentioned sausage, there's a dish I do a lot when I'm smoking or grilling that's called the "Big O' Mess". This dish can be pretty spicy so if her co-workers don't like spicy food you might have to tone it down a bit.

The dish has Green pepper, onion, Jalapenos, smoked sausage(or sausage of your choice) and a mixture of hot sauce and sweet an sour sauce. I'll include a picture of it.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 19
Add some grilled fresh corn ( with garlic butter) and some pinto beans ( fiesta pinto seasoning, ham hocks) to your list of meat.

Back