Memphis Elite vs. Coyote Pellet

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi,

I am building an outdoor kitchen and plan to include a high-end pellet grill. My heart was set on a Memphis Elite, but my contractor said due to my limited space it would be difficult to add the controller for the Elite (it is mounted separately). He said a Coyote pellet would fit better. Anyone have experience cooking with a Coyote pellet grill? I see several videos online, but none show cooks or really talk about the comparison between grills.

Thank you,
Alan

I don’t know anything about the coyote, but I can say I am beyond happy with my Memphis. It is extremely well thought out, well made and it makes some fantastic food. If you can have the controller mounted above the counter or below, I think you would be happy with it. I’ve had some other pellet grills that were not necessarily the low end ones and they look like a cheap toy compared to the Memphis.

Maybe the coyote is just as good or better, but I can say if you figure out how to make the controller work you won’t be dissatisfied with the product. App is a little outdated but I never use it.

Twin Eagles pellet grill has their controller on the front. It’s pretty versatile. If you can afford it, it’s pretty nice. It has a rotisserie & you can also use charcoal with it too. Hope that helps

Both are made in China. I’d look at Mak, Pitts and Spitts or Yoder or as the last poster stated, the Twin Eagle.

The USA Memphis may still be available. I bought my Pro from BBQ Island and it's USA built. However, if WiFi is important to you, I'd look elsewhere.

The USA Memphis may still be available. I bought my Pro from BBQ Island and it's USA built. However, if WiFi is important to you, I'd look elsewhere.

Why’s that on WiFi? When I had a Memphis the WiFi was extremely reliable.

I would definitely not recommend a Memphis if you cannot get a leftover USA model. Another thing to note if you’ve never used a Memphis, they are beautiful, fuel efficient and great cookers, but are pretty susceptible to grease fires. Reverse searing Ribeyes can cause one as well as cooking a couple chuck roasts and bumping the temp from 225 to 275 to speed up the cook. That’s the reason I no longer own one. With the Eilte, you would have more space so you could use drip pans to help prevent fires.

Last edited:
The supplicant and/or hardware needs to be updated. They have some very odd restrictions (e.g., For successful connection, your home network password cannot contain non-alphanumeric characters such as: #$&) and it has been unreliable. I've gone through numerous controllers and wireless modules and it just doesn't work. The reviews on the current app version shows that it's a common problem. There's also a huge security hole in the hosting website where you can scroll through all the registered users and see their personal info and has been that way for years. I've deleted my account.

As for the grease fires, I've only had one which I consider my fault (greasy/dirty, pans half full of fat and unburned pellets - I had it set to 550°F). I don't see it being any more susceptible over other pellet grills. Also reminded me that it was important to have fire extinguishers nearby (I did, thankfully) and to replace the pans often.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Pro 304. The build quality and the controller (on the pellet side) is fantastic. It makes great smoke compared to other pellet grills I've used. But if I had known then what I know now, there would be an all-stainless Mak 2-Star sitting on my deck instead. And that may still happen.

I had a memphis elite for about a year (USA made) and I’d look elsewhere for the money honestly. The twin eagle pellet is a lot more appealing due to being able to use charcoal and or wood. For straight up smoking or bbq (not searing per day) a Mak 2 star would be a great option also.

I had several grease fires on my elite, most all were user error (not cleaning the deflector plate and or the grease pans often enough). My wifi would go in and out also...sometimes it would work great for a month and then wouldn’t work for 2-3 cooks...odd for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had a memphis elite for about a year (USA made) and I’d look elsewhere for the money honestly. The twin eagle pellet is a lot more appealing due to being able to use charcoal and or wood. For straight up smoking or bbq (not searing per day) a Mak 2 star would be a great option also.

I had several grease fires on my elite, most all were user error (not cleaning the deflector plate and or the grease pans often enough). My wifi would go in and out also...sometimes it would work great for a month and then wouldn’t work for 2-3 cooks...odd for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Not trying to sound like too much of a fanboy, but I've been very pleased with grilling on my MAK. I use their searing grates and I've turned out some pretty good (IMO and confirmed by the fam) steaks and burgers. Tastes and expectations vary so take this for what its worth. Maybe just the ramblings of dumb Okie...

I have a Coyote 36" gas grill. I wouldn't buy another. It flared up constantly. Spent $300 for their flame tamer briquettes. Then another $300 on Grill Grates. For the total amount of money I spent I could have bought a much better grill. Still have trouble with getting the burners to light. With all this I would not be willing buy their pellet grill. I'm beyond thrilled with my MAK 1 Star.

I love my MAK 2*. I only suggested the twin Eagles because you said you needed a front controller & theirs is on the front. I believe they have a front load hopper as well. But like other MAK users on here. From grilling to smoking, my MAK has been great!

Does anyone know what the grilling surface dimensions on the Twin Eagles is? I totally failed to find it on their website.

Our Memphis Elite, which will have to be replaced if they can't get us one that works, is 17.5" x 37.4" which is just barely big enough to do grilling for a large group or use a 16.5" pizza stone (every Friday is Pizza Friday). The MAK 3-Star is too small for either.

Does anyone know what the grilling surface dimensions on the Twin Eagles is? I totally failed to find it on their website.

Our Memphis Elite, which will have to be replaced if they can't get us one that works, is 17.5" x 37.4" which is just barely big enough to do grilling for a large group or use a 16.5" pizza stone (every Friday is Pizza Friday). The MAK 3-Star is too small for either.

These are the dimensions of the Twin Eagles Pellet grill as per there website...

https://www.twineaglesgrills.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/TEPG36-ARCHITECTURAL-DWG.pdf

https://www.twineaglesgrills.com/design-room/specifications/

Back