Meat Probe and Port Recommendations

Mismith

Name or Nickame
Michael
Going to add a couple probe ports to my Jambo Backyard. What ports and what probes do you recommend? Looking for Wifi probes of good quality for the price.

Thanks,
Michael

Up front I’ll say I don’t use temp probes on my offset. I did it a few times but I found since you’re watching the smoker closely anyway probing with a Thermapen when you’re close to done works well enough.

When I did use probes Thermoworks always work well for me (still use them for oven roasts).

For ports, I installed the ones you find on Amazon on my Weber kettle. The Workhorse came with what looks like the same ones.

It looks like you've only had the cooker for a few days and you are wanting to add baskets, golf cart wheels, and ports to it. Call me crazy, but I would run it like it came for a while and then decide if I wanted to start goofing around with all of that other stuff. You might find that you don't really need any of it.

I bought a MEATER + last year to do our Thanksgiving turkey on the rotisserie and wound up using it for everything. It is an excellent wireless thermometer and there is not a need to drill a port. Use an old smartphone as a WI-FI repeater to your home wifi router and set the app up so you can see the temps from anywhere in the world with signal.

It looks like you've only had the cooker for a few days and you are wanting to add baskets, golf cart wheels, and ports to it. Call me crazy, but I would run it like it came for a while and then decide if I wanted to start goofing around with all of that other stuff. You might find that you don't really need any of it.

We used probes on our old offset reverse flow as well as a Thermo pen. I don’t like crimping the wires by shutting the door on them. The ones we had were cheap and have died since then. The golf cart wheel setup is just a no brainer since we will be hauling this one to events on occasion. Really the only thing new to us will be the basket. After running it today during the seasoning process I can see an advantage to it.

Value is in the eye of the individual.

I bought a Thermoworks Signals 4, and I have been very happy with my purchase.

I know I really didn't need it because I have have been using a BBQ Guru Digi-Q II for fire control. It hasn't failed me yet, but at 70, it's nice to view the temperatures from the recliner. I know temperature doesn't dictate when the meat is done, but it saves many trips out the back door to check the status. Lets me know when i pass the stall and when to start probing for signs of being done.

The only drawback is that it only uses the 2.4 ghz band even thought it will find 5.0 and above. Just make sure you know your network name before linking to your WiFi.

Back