THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kyleb76

I have a 270 Sumo that I've had a couple years now and am happy with but I'm interested in trying a stick burner. I'm looking for something in the range of better than Char Griller but not so expensive it will cause a divorce. I was looking at the Lang 36 but I've seen a few mentions that the vaporizing effect from the reverse flow baffle, that they use as a selling point, actually gives the meat an undesirable "burnt fat" flavor.

I'm wondering if anyone who has the Meadow Creek SQ36 can comment on whether the baffle used in the SQ36 has the same effect. The SQ36 is not reverse flow like the Lang but it looks like they still use some type of baffle system to more evenly disperse the heat and smoke throughout the cooking chamber. Does the rendered fat from the meat sizzle and vaporize on the baffle in the SQ36? Does the baffle give off radiant heat like in the Lang? It seems like a lot of traditionalist stick burner users are adverse to radiant heat and prefer the convection from a well drafted traditional flow stick burner. Does the SQ36 draft well?

The MC SQ36 is appealing to me because there is a dealer near by in north Mississippi so I should be able to pick it up and not have to pay shipping.

Also curious. There was one on Letgo a few weeks ago that I wish I would have jumped on.

I have an older sq-36. Always worked like a champ. Never had any burnt fat flavors. The baffle runs along the bottom with holes in the top, smaller near the fire box and larger near the exhaust. I had to shift meat around during the cook as it’s much hotter on the box side, as you’d imagine. Bullet proof unit... held two 18# brisket or one 18# brisket and two 9# butts.... cooked lots of good bbq. Drafts nice. Easy to hold temp. Was impressed by how easy it is to use and how overbuilt it is I bought the ts-120p

Just got an SQ 36 and tried it out this weekend. Mine has the charcoal tray (that I lined with drip pans), so fat never reached the baffle. I moved the ribs around when I wrapped and unwrapped them, because the firebox side is naturally hotter. Drafted fine. I left the firebox dampers wide open, closed the stack to about 1/4 inch, and used the side vents to control the draft inside the cooking chamber. Started with charcoal, and added splits every 45 minutes or so, whenever the temp started to drop.

Just got an SQ 36 and tried it out this weekend. Mine has the charcoal tray (that I lined with drip pans), so fat never reached the baffle. I moved the ribs around when I wrapped and unwrapped them, because the firebox side is naturally hotter. Drafted fine. I left the firebox dampers wide open, closed the stack to about 1/4 inch, and used the side vents to control the draft inside the cooking chamber. Started with charcoal, and added splits every 45 minutes or so, whenever the temp started to drop.

Not my place to tell anyone how to run their equipment but the flap on the stack is a rain cover. The exhaust should be ran open. If you use it to control temp you’ll notice creosote build up inside. I was guilty of that also when I first ran my 36.

Not my place to tell anyone how to run their equipment but the flap on the stack is a rain cover. The exhaust should be ran open. If you use it to control temp you’ll notice creosote build up inside. I was guilty of that also when I first ran my 36.

Thanks for the tip! The guy I bought it from said he kept the flap almost closed, so that's what I tried.

Back