Maximum hold time when quality starts to deteriorate?

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I've got a huge cook coming up, and I'd like to get it done ahead of time due to conflicting schedules.

I'm able to hot hold in a heated holding container similar to an Alto Shaam.

I'm thinking I'm good 12+ hours assuming I don't pull or slice for butts/brisket. What do you think the maximum time is in this scenario?

i regularly hold briskets up to 18 hours in an alto shaam at 140 with excellent results.

I held a brisket for 18 hours once, at 150f. Was definitely on the overcooked side—it had the tendency to shred / flake off. YMMV

When you all hold for 12 - 18 hours, what are you wrapping the brisket with during the hold? Butcher Paper, Foil, Nothing...

When you all hold for 12 - 18 hours, what are you wrapping the brisket with during the hold? Butcher Paper, Foil, Nothing...

Pork is usually aluminum foil for me. Brisket is now butcher paper and used to be foil. The hot-box I hold stuff in can have a small pan of water added near the heating element so it creates a humid environment to help with some moisture loss so I sometimes don't cover at all.

Muellers in Taylor Tx wraps it in plastic wrap and puts in their warmer. Watched the cutter pull it out unwrap and put his finger down into the meat to make sure it was ready. It was some good brisket.

I held a brisket in a roasting oven for 18 hours with no problems at around 145. I think what you would run into is that at some point the fat starts to oxidize. Beef is usually good about this, but pork I think is more likely to be effected. I think with it wrapped in foil you'll be ok but I have no experience with long holds on a butt.

Back